Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SevenString.org - View Single Post - SM57 sounds good only at the super edge?

Link to the post with audio clips - tl;dr on the rest of the thread, guy was unhappy with his recorded tone using a SM57, posted looking for some tips over at Sevenstring, and (god only knows why this occurred to him to try within the first couple days), ended up just renting a second SM57 to make sure something wasn't wrong with his mic. He then posted these A/B clips, ecstatic by how much better the new one sounded - turns out, his was a fake. :lol:

So, he inadvertently recorded an awesome comparison of the differences between a real SM57 and a fake one - the riffing is even pretty good. :metal:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I literaly just ripped mine apart, and while 95% of it checked out two details looked odd so I grabbed a new one off Sweetwater just to be safe. :lol:

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
The first one sounds like my 57 too.

Dammit... Time to tear it apart. I didn't even think it could be that.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I never understood why fakes are made when they're not that expensive to begin with, the fakes are usually priced on Ebay for not that much less too. But wow, you can hear a big difference between the two in those clips.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Wirelessly posted (The Enormophone SIII)

BaptizedBurning said:
I never understood why fakes are made when they're not that expensive to begin with, the fakes are usually priced on Ebay for not that much less too. But wow, you can hear a big difference between the two in those clips.
They're priced similarly,but cost next to nothing to make. So it's pure profit for the sellers. Sam motive as pirating anything else, really.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
This is why I won't buy second hand 57s or 58s. The fakes are almost identical until you hear them.

There's a lot of variation between real 57s, as well, though, so no one panic if you have two or more 57s that sound different. They inevitably will. Just not that different (but the difference can still be surprisingly large).

Also, drew, that's a DI that's been doing the rounds for years now that started off on the sneap forum. It is indeed cool riffing, but it's not his.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Difference is HUGE, although I didn't completely disliked the fake one, but when we hear the real thing its sounds huge... by the way I keep hearing that riff in a lot of other stuff, where is it from?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Difference is HUGE, although I didn't completely disliked the fake one, but when we hear the real thing its sounds huge... by the way I keep hearing that riff in a lot of other stuff, where is it from?
The fake actually could be useful for recording lead guitar - that kind of boxy midrange might actually be a plus, in that context.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts