Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else catch the premier? All the "Oh, I was fired from NBC" cracks were expected and already played out, but past that, it seems like the same old Conan... which is a good thing, IMO. Once they get a week of NBC vs. basic cable jokes out of the way, I think it'll be a decent show. Glad to have him back. :D

I also realized I can't fucking stand Seth Rogen.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Conan has certainly not lost his touch. They overdid it with the NBC hitmen, though.

I did get a kick out of the extended applause thing at the beginning and Conan saying "That lasted longer than my last show!"

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I too thought it was the same ol' Conan, which I agree is also good.

I thought the NBC humor was well-played. Obviously, it's extremely relevant right now, and Coco didn't appear bitter or anything. Just funny, lighthearted, and self-deprecating. Typical Conan, in other words. :lol:

Jamming some rockabilliy with Jack White was also pretty cool.

I've watched Conan since he first started on NBC. (I was always a Letterman guy, and never cared for Jay.) To me, Conan was a show to pop into occasionally. I'd never really sit there and plan to watch a show at 12:35, but it was great when I was just sitting around watching the tube, and his show was always funny and familiar. Still has t he vibe, and even more so than his run on The Tonight Show (until the very end, at least).

Conan is back, I'd say. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I caught the first 20 minutes or so - I'm coming down with something so I wanted to get to bed a bit early, but I figured since I was up at 11, why not. It was pretty decent - better than Jimmy Fallon or Jay Leno, by a fair measure (Fallon just sucks - Leno sucks when he's doing his standup bit but then runs a pretty decent show after that).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Man, I need to get a TV. Any online views of the show popping up?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I'm currently reading the book http://www.amazon.com/War-Late-Nigh...208X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289323036&sr=8-1, all about the whole Conan/Tonight Show/Leno debacle. (The author, Bill Carter, is the same guy who penned the terrific 'Late Shift' book that chronicled the Leno/Letterman fiasco, and adapted into the terrific movie of the same name.)

Howard Stern has been raving about the book, and it's really a fantastic read. :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, wait... I just noticed that they do have the full episode available on that page as well.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New Soundgarden on there, um... right fucking now. :metal:

I'm sure somebody'll be posting a clip of it in the general section tomorrow, but yeah... pretty cool to see them back on TV. Chris sounds... not bad but however they have him mixed didn't do him any justice. Their rhythm tone was fucking huge, though.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
New Soundgarden on there, um... right fucking now. :metal:

I'm sure somebody'll be posting a clip of it in the general section tomorrow, but yeah... pretty cool to see them back on TV. Chris sounds... not bad but however they have him mixed didn't do him any justice. Their rhythm tone was fucking huge, though.
Yeah... They really needed to turn up the vocals. It was not picking up a flattering part of his vocal range--it reminded me of a young child crying, especially at the beginning.

I'm glad to see they laid off the NBC stuff a bit more... at least until Tom Hanks laid into them pretty good. That part of it is starting to get stale.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed completely. The first canned joke about current events (I believe it was about GWB on Oprah) totally brought a smile to my face... it just felt like the old show, again. :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah... They really needed to turn up the vocals. It was not picking up a flattering part of his vocal range--it reminded me of a young child crying, especially at the beginning.
Actually, that's just what he sounds like now. :/

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Actually, that's just what he sounds like now. :/
Ah, then I retract my previous statement. The soundman did a bang-up job at capturing the essence of Mr. Cornell's vocal performance. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts