Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really.

I've always had a weak spot for those '70s 'harmony bands', like S&C, CSNY, America, and the early Doobie Brothers.

S&C might have been the most intriguing of them, even though they get excessively mellow at time. That greatest hits of theirs has a lot of great stuff, along with a couple of bland moments.

I've also been digging on the Doobie Brothers' "The Captain and Me" lately.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Aren't these some of the bands that Opeth was sort of stylistically referencing on "Damnation"?

If so, I'd probably dig the shit out of it. :agreed:

·
ESP / Ibanez
2,579 Posts
America is one of my favorite bands of all time! Their harmonies and acoustic guitar work has always been my favorite, especially from the 70's. Seals & Crofts are great too. I used to listen to the oldies station all the time and not only do I like them but I also really like the r&b/funk bands back then like Tavares, The O' Jays, The Ides Of March, Heatwave, Earth Wind & Fire and KC & The Sunshine Band, etc...great music from that decade. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aren't these some of the bands that Opeth was sort of stylistically referencing on "Damnation"?

If so, I'd probably dig the shit out of it. :agreed:
Yeah, but Opeth's take is much darker. Seals & Crofts are a couple of hippies with musical sophistication, basically. Think Crosby Stills & Nash, but sober.

They are adherents of the Bahai faith, which they expressed in all their music. It gets very dopey '70s at times. But other than metal, I'm pretty much all about the dopey '70s stuff. :lol:

It would be interesting if Opeth could incorporate more harmonies in their music, but isn't Mikael the only one who sings?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Live, probably. In the studio, he's had his share of guest musicians (Steven Wilson on Damnation, whoever the chick is on Watershed), and he's certainly not afraid to harmonize with himself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts