Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congress Passes Bill Standardizing Airline Rules for Musical Instrument Storage | News | BMI.com

Traveling musicians got a big boost from Congress last month with the passage of a sweeping Federal Aviation Administration reauthorization bill that includes new universal standards for storing instruments in flight. Pending issuance of final regulations, the amended law will, among other things, allow travelers to carry aboard any instrument or related gear that can be safely stored in the cabin, rather than risk it being damaged in the plane's cargo hold or during baggage handling.

Included as an amendment to section 403 ("Musical Instruments") of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (H.R. 658), the bill provides airport personnel with specific guidelines for carry-on instruments - including when musicians may purchase a separate seat for an oversized or fragile instrument - as well as weight and size limits for storing a larger instrument in a plane's cargo area.

Calling the amendment "great news for professional musicians throughout the U.S. and Canada," American Federation of Musicians (AFM) President Ray Hair said that passage of the new rules would help end the confusion over musical instruments as carry-on baggage.

"BMI salutes the passage of the Airline Musical Instrument Carry On Luggage Act and is proud to have assisted in its passage," said Fred Cannon, BMI Senior Vice President, Government Relations. "We would like to thank Hal Ponder, lobbyist for the American Federation of Musicians, who spearheaded the industry efforts on this bill. This legislation will assist all traveling musicians by allowing them to protect their instruments, knowing that there is a standardized national policy regarding how these instruments are handled by the airlines."

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sweet!

However, please note that this is just ordering the FAA to make a rule, which they have two years to do. So don't rely on this immediately :lol:

·
CATFISH
669 Posts
On my flight to Turkey my guitar was allowed as a carry on, on my way back it was not but it didnt get damaged or anything.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
"that can be safely stored in the cabin"... I think that's where the loophole is. guitars or keyboards generally don't fit in the overhead compartment without a bit of hassle.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"that can be safely stored in the cabin"... I think that's where the loophole is. guitars or keyboards generally don't fit in the overhead compartment without a bit of hassle.
Tell me about it. I've probably spent 123827943 hours combined waiting for some asshole to try and fail to shoehorn his gig bag into the damn overhead. :lol:

With the huge upcharge in luggage fees these days, the overhead is ALWAYS full. Sometimes I can't even get my briefcase in there if I'm not one of the first people on the plane.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, wait, it'll fit, seriously, I do this all the time!
Yup. And then "excuse me, pardon me, excuse me" while Johnny Folkplayer tries to squeeze back up the aisle from back in row 45 while people are trying to get to their seats.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
yup, regular scale guitars fit though, but I'd like to see my 30" scale fit up there...
Now if your backwards government could actually make a regulation that leaves no room for doubt instead of letting corporations interpret it the way they want I would be a happy commie! :D

Edit: excuse my crappy, drunken english...

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
I guess this video had a bigger impact that I guessed :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts