Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Satans and Lucifiers, I need your help.

I bought a Mooer Radar to try different speaker sounds.
I tried to connect it to the Ranndal RX120D amplifier and Laney IRT 112 cab.
But the sound is muddy, the Radar is probably not suitable for an amplifier + cab set.

I understand that this is a cab simulator, which means plugging it into another cab is pointless. That's probably why it sounds lame.
However, since I have this device, maybe it can be connected somehow with my Randall / Laney team.
I do not use a computer with software or speaker monitors.

Randall has a Series EFX Loop, but plugging in the Radar via the EFX Loop didn't help much.
Please explain if there is a chance for a different connection and better operation of Radar and amp + cab.

If I use the Boss OD200 distrotion pedal with a clean channel in the amp, it is possible to adjust the Radar so that it sounds reasonably good.
Probably because the Boss OD200 works a bit like a preamplifier and for some reason the Radar reacts better to it and does not spoil the sound so much.

But the Radar itself only with the distortion channel in Randall + cab, sounds terrible.

I am a newbie to the world of amplifiers and loudspeakers, Randall is my first guitar head,
so I don't understand much about these more complicated combinations of musical devices.

I watched quite a few videos on you tube, in which musicians explain the different connections between Radar and other devices.
But I am still not sure, what results I can achieve and whether it is even possible to get good sound from my kit.

Or is it better to buy the Torpedo Two Notes CAB M, because this simulator can be placed between the amplifier and the CAB.
At least that's what it looks like in the manual:
https://wiki.two-notes.com/doku.php?id=torpedo_cab_m:torpedo_c.a.b._m_user_s_manual

Can the Radar be connected in this way, using some suitable tricks?
I have no RAW output in Randall RX120D and EFX Loop is Series, not Parallel.

The problem is that Radar is cheap and torpedo expensive..

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a reactive load like the Torpedo Captor or Suhr Reactive Load. They're not terribly expensive and then you can load IRs in your PC, if you were using a PC. If you step up and get something like the Captor X or the Mesa CabClone IR, you can do it all in one box and you don't need a PC at all.

The Mooer Radar is similar to the CAB M, in that it's not a reactive load, so you don't want to use your "to cabinet" outs on your amp to it. You run the risk of damaging your amp's output transformer. What you could do is plug your amp into your speaker cabinet like you normally would, but then use the effects send from the amp to go to the Mooer Radar. You won't have the sound of your amplifier's power amp, but you could then run the power amp sim and cab sim in the Mooer Radar and go out to your PC or wherever you're sending the signal.

Great question for your first post BTW. Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your answer.

I'm not sure we understood each other well.
I'm not going to use Radar with a computer or any other audio interface.
I had the idea for it to play together with the amp and the cab.
From what I have found out, Radar and Torpedo are not completely suitable for this.
And it actually looked rather poor.
Are there any floor effects that allow for interesting sound creation?
So that the sound changes similar to the cab simulation in Radar..

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Are you just looking for an attenuator so you can turn your amp up a bit more?

If you're looking to just play through your cab, not sure what a load box/cab simulator is doing for you.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
As you're already playing through a cab, I can see why adding a cab simulator on top of that would sound bad. The sound effect you're probably getting is not that of a different cab, but actually the sound of a miced cab being sent into another guitar cab (or something like that).

Frankly, with the setup you have, I don't really see a point of that unit. Unless you want to record something - then like Vince said you could connect it to the FX loop out and use its power amp and cab simulators into your interface. I'd probably look at trading that for some FX pedals or something if you want to have different sounds at your disposal. There's a bunch of Multi-FX units with all sorts of cool and useful effects (and cool and useless effects ;) ) - I can't really recommend anything myself (haven't used anything like that since the POD 2), but someone else here probably knows more about what's worth it in that realm.

Something like this might work - not sure if it's any good, but it's pretty much the exact same price as the Mooer Radar. (the effect examples they've chosen to demonstrate on Thomann are pretty weird...)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_m5.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will tell the whole story from the beginning.

When I heard Radar on YouTube for the first time, I thought it was a revelation to have the ability to change the sound like this.
It's kind of like having several amp + cab kits and being able to switch them with one click.
After doing research on the subject, I found out that devices of this type are not suitable for playing with an amplifier and cab.
Or rather, they just play badly in this statement.

And now I wonder if there are any effects that allow a similar correction of the sound.
I've had digital multi-effects, most recently Mooer GE200.
But as is usually the case with digital effects, you get fed up with them after a while.

The Boss OD200 can store 128 presets, and can mix the analog and digital effects that are contained in it.
This gives a lot of possibilities, but the Radar was able to change the sound as if someone would connect the guitar to a completely different sound system.
It was very attractive to me.

So maybe I'll ask the question differently.
What would you add to the set: Boss OD200 + Randall + cab, so that you have more sound possibilities.
But I mean the floor pedal that will play along with the Boss OD200, not in place of it.

The radar seemed perfect for this, but it turned out not to be suitable.

There are countless effects on the market, it's hard for me to find
something suitable, especially since I don't know anything about it.

Maybe this :

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You could try the OD200 as a preamp, I guess. Connect it

Guitar -> OD200 -> FX return

Might make more of a difference than having it in front of your amp.

Otherwise, something like a HX Stomp (or Pocket Pod on a budget) into the FX return, would give you some pretty versatile options.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Yeah, the Boss OD200 isn't really what you need. You need a modeler or preamp of some kind to run into the effects return like Markus says.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Sounds to me like all he wants to do is use something to shape the sound. He was trying to manipulate the moore to shape the sound... in that case it was a EQ filter..if so he can get a EQ in his loop or in his chain and go at it all he wants. Changing IRs is similar to EQ curves.

Get a EQ...see how that works.

eq.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Well he mentioned wanting the sound of many amps/cabs so assuming he wants a modeler of some type.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
That might get him in the realm of what he's trying to do, but it just sounds like he bought the wrong stuff initially. Really should have gone the digital route if you're looking for a large array of different sounds.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If im reading this right you are wanting to be able to use the radar to switch out the cab sounds whilst still playing through a cab.

There are two options really.

1. Get a load for the amp so as not to damage it. Then use the line out from the load to the radar then from that go onto a SS power amp to a FRFR cab or skip the power amp and go onto a powered cab like the line6 power cab.

2. The same as above nearly but without the load go from the effects send to the radar whilst still having the cab connected to protect the amp then from the radar into a power amp or powered cab.

Your main issue is that irs into guitar speakers sound like crap.

Other than that you are limited to using a pc after the radar.

Alternatively use something like the gsp1101 where you can swap your amps preamp out for a model on a patch by patch basis.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
instead of using an actual amp and cab, you need an FRFR speaker(read PA speaker) to get an IR loader like the mooer radar to sound right. its intent is to replace the poweramp and cab part of the tone. it doesn't have a power amp in it so it won't push a speaker but if you use a full range/flat powered speaker, you can hear the mooer radar out loud. if you send the mooer radar(a power amp and cab tone simulator) through another actual power amp and cab its going to sound terrible.

you could do the Boss OD200 > Mooer Radar > PA/FRFR Speaker and get exactly what you're looking for. the OD200 gives you access to a lot of preamp/distortion sounds and the radar gives you a bunch of poweramp/cabinet sounds. then the FRFR speaker allows you to hear it in the room without coloring the sound like running it into a real poweramp and cab.

the boss OD200 is just intended to be an everything in one distortion/overdrive/boost pedal. for example instead of having 5 OD/distortion pedals taking up a bunch of space, you can just use the OD200 to do all the same stuff and take up less space than 5 pedals would. its not actually marketed as an amp modeller iirc.

the next level would be to get an actual preamp modeller like the Atomic Amplifire or a multiFX with a shitload of amp sims like the HX stomp. Some of these actually have an IR loader built right in. for almost all of 2020 I just used an HX Stomp into a headrush FRFR 112 with great results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts