Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I'm ready to sell the 350Z (I really, really love that car...)

But, I'm feeling the need for something bigger that I can use to haul mulch, lumber, etc. Ideally I'd like something with room for my gf and two good sized dogs, plus a truck bed, which probably means a crew cab pickup or Honda Ridgline/Chevy Avalanche sorta thing. I'd like to find something with decent gas mileage (over 20mpg), manual transmission, and enough balls to make things interesting (150hp 4-bangers in 4000lb vehicles need not apply).

Any suggestions?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Subaru Baja?

It's an Outback with a truck bed and can be had with a V6 and manual IIRC, and I know that a turbo version is available as well. 20-22mpg or so, plenty of passenger space, and enough room in the back to haul a bit of mulch. They definitely look a bit weird (although better if not yellow), and I prefer the wagon myself, but if you're hauling passengers, gardening supplies, dirt, and logs the Baja idea works better.

They're also not terribly popular (as shown by that picture above :lol:) so it might be possible to find a used one for a good price.

Certainly, an Avalanche or the like will not get over 20 mpg, not if you want an engine that has any balls.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Why not just rent a truck when you need a truck? Why own the vehicle you need 5% of the time?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just rent a truck when you need a truck? Why own the vehicle you need 5% of the time?
I hear what you're saying, I made the same argument re: snow in a thread earlier. However, I'd use it more than that - can't get the dogs in the Z, and it's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to rent a truck if I want to go pick up some 8' 1x to use for garden stakes.

My current front-runner (not having done any test drives) is a Nissan Frontier crew cab, I think.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Fair enough.

But we can fit 8-foot lumber in our MINI Clubman. With the hatch closed.

We used to do the same with our old Mk IV Golf. With one end of the lumber up on the dashboard, it would fit with the hatch closed.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Leave the hatch open for the dogs :p

One of my friends has a Nissan Frontier CC - its nice, but the box is short. I dont think you can get the crews with any more than a 4ft box, but I could be mistaken.

Edit - scratch that, you can get long box with the crew cab, though it will be long. The 6 moves relatively well too, so its not a bad option.

You could get an early 90's Chevy Silverado 1500 and just keep the Z too, or downgrade the dogs to something of a smaller size :yesway:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
What kind of rookie Subaru owner puts their bike in the back of their Brat?

Damn...get with the program so you're not shelled with recycled paper cups at the next Phish show:
Start Page - Thule Group
I used to have a thule roof rack - then i got a different car and the freaking towers for it didnt work and new towers cost about as much as a completely new roof rack :noplease:

FAIL

After that i just said F it , take off both wheels and the seat and throw that mess in the trunk if i need to take it someplace.

The beds on those Baja's are kind of small. I'd look for a nice used Colorado or Ridgeline

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm hunting right now for a late 90's Toyota 4cyl 4x4 to complement the snobmobile. I need something to tow shit with, and having a second commuter will keep the miles down on the BMW.

Keep your Z, grab a beater for 3-4k. :yesway:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm hunting right now for a late 90's Toyota 4cyl 4x4 to complement the snobmobile. I need something to tow shit with, and having a second commuter will keep the miles down on the BMW.

Keep your Z, grab a beater for 3-4k. :yesway:
That sounds like a plan.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It's too bad the diesel Toyota pickups were never offered here. They're damn near impossible to kill.
22R yota motors are invincible as well. I had a buddy back in school who used to go offroading with his all the time. It got stuck in a mud hole once, and he had to leave it overnight. It POURED unfortunately, and when we showed up the next day with my truck to yank him out, everything but basically the top of his carbs was underwater. The thing fired right up, and drove out. Badass. :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Ahh, Top Gear. That Hilux is sitting on a plinth in their studio now, and from all accounts it still works! :D

·
The Tremol-No Guy
651 Posts
Wish I had a cushy govt. job so I could afford a house with space for 3 vehicles (and a motorcycle, and a snowmobile)...and insurance on them.
:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts