Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the JB thread and all the awesome shit that he does blending amp tones and offloading effects, I have it in my head to try it out, albeit on a smaller scale.

I have AFX-Roadster-4x12 already, and I have a second Recto 4x12 to spare. Toss me some ideas on what might be a good counterpart to run a two-rig setup for offloading some effects. Maybe something more vintage?

Budget of around a grand, maybe $1500 for the head if it's something that stands out on it's own as something I can't already do with my current setup. Maybe an old Marshall, or some kind of Fender blues box?

Ideas, go!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You could just get a power amp like a Fryette or a Mesa and run the Mesa dry and use the Axe Fx for all the effects.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, then I'm chained to the AFX one way or the other. I like my current rig to stand alone, and having a second solid sounding amp will be great for recording options, and for having people over to jam.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Then I'd go get a good Marshall or similar like a Splawn.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Chris, Instead, you could donate to my disposable income fund.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
How about a 1990's Fender Power Chorus?

One of the best cleans I've ever heard, and it records really well.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Mark IV combo. :lol:

Peavey 6505 in all seriousness. $1k for the head, cab options are wide open. Very versatile, and a different sound from your Roadster, but still angry enough to jam with it.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
My friend uses a Triple recto and a 5150 and it sounds amazing, not sure if that's really the sound you are after though...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark IV combo. :lol:

Peavey 6505 in all seriousness. $1k for the head, cab options are wide open. Very versatile, and a different sound from your Roadster.
I'd probably go JSX over a 6505, a bit less metal, in my limited experience. I dunno, what do crusty old jazz types play? :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Budda Superdrive 45 (or 80, but those are less aggressive) would be my choice. You want to play around with dynamics, that is your amp. Volume knob and pick attack changes will clean the sound up or crunch/compress it more than any other amp I've played.

They can be had used for under $1500 and have a killer boutiquey-Marshall voice. Great lead tones and awesome crunch, and blend well with Rectos (listen to Crooks' album for a sampling.) Very Bonnamassa-y, but can get tight and aggressive-snarly too. There's a 45 head on GC.com used for $1300 and two 80s, one for $1500 and one for $1600.

Other possibilities not really covered by the AFX: Dar Tuzzia (really want to try one of those, but at around $1800 it's a little over budget); Stiletto Deuce or Trident (used)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Budda Superdrive 45 (or 80, but those are less aggressive) would be my choice.

They can be had used for under $1500 and have a killer boutiquey-Marshall voice. Great lead tones and awesome crunch, and blend well with Rectos (listen to Crooks' album for a sampling.) Very Bonnamassa-y, but can get tight and aggressive-snarly too. There's a 45 head on GC.com used for $1300 and two 80s, one for $1500 and one for $1600.

Other possibilities not really covered by the AFX: Dar Tuzzia (really want to try one of those, but at around $1800 it's a little over budget); Stiletto Deuce or Trident (used)
A grand would really be the sweet spot, since I don't know how much I'd actually use it. I don't think I could snag something like a Jubilee for that low, though, eh?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'd probably go JSX over a 6505, a bit less metal, in my limited experience. I dunno, what do crusty old jazz types play? :lol:
Mark IV combos. :lol:

JSX would certainly fit the bill. It's really quite similar. The XXX was Satch's signature amp, then they toned down the gain a touch, switched to EL34's and added a couple of knobs to make the JSX. They're different but not radically so from the EVH amps (5150 etc.)

A JSX would be more like a Marshall tone, which is a good idea.

You could probably find a Mark IV head for $1000-1100. Would be an excellent compliment to the Roadster, and does Fender cleans/Marshall crunch/smooth or searing leads. Very hi-fi.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark IV combos. :lol:

JSX would certainly fit the bill. It's really quite similar. The XXX was Satch's signature amp, then they toned down the gain a touch, switched to EL34's and added a couple of knobs to make the JSX. They're different but not radically so from the EVH amps (5150 etc.)

A JSX would be more like a Marshall tone, which is a good idea.
Plus, it's available in a Combo, that I could use to drive the cab AND land a decent, toteable jamming rig to boot.

That's a pretty big plus.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A grand would really be the sweet spot, since I don't know how much I'd actually use it. I don't think I could snag something like a Jubilee for that low, though, eh?
Music Go Round

Seriously. Killer amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

For cleans/mild crunch, go to about 1:30 on this vid when he stops talking:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts