Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows 7, working as intended. I wasn't even touching the keyboard.

Those of you who made the complete switch - what'd you miss? I don't game on the PC anymore really, and all of my office apps work on the Mac. I can't think of a single thing that I would miss.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I don't miss a single thing. :D

Been a Mac user for 9 years now. I've said it before : when you go Mac, you don't go back. :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously. Thing is, my PC is pretty beast, and I just bought the fucking Mini. :lol: I guess I can get a good eBay price for the mini, and part out the PC, but man, I just bought Win7 too, and now I don't even want to look at the shit. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
You gear whore. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I do is work in the fucking shell as it is. :lol: Cygwin is like 99% of my PC usage!

·
Read Only
1 Posts
that is all kinds of messed up!

Ive been using macs for a bit over 5 years now (at work) but I have yet to feel the urge/need to get one for home... (Plus I still do a lot of PC gaming)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing holding me back to be honest is my inability to find a program/script to turn off the fucking mouse acceleration in OSX. :mad:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
All I do is work in the fucking shell as it is. :lol: Cygwin is like 99% of my PC usage!
That's why I love my Mac--I don't have to put up with that kludgy Cygwin bullshit, since I have a real command line and X system.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also worth noting is that my work laptop? Yeah, I don't have it this weekend because a software update destroyed all of my environment variables, and even trying to reinstall windows BSOD's on me. The IT guys have it. :mad:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
For a PC? Yes. It is still a hassle I don't like to have to deal with, when Mac just gives you a real shell and integrates X into the existing GUI. If I wasn't using a Mac, I'd just be using Linux.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For a PC? Yes. It is still a hassle I don't like to have to deal with, when Mac just gives you a real shell and integrates X into the existing GUI. If I wasn't using a Mac, I'd just be using Linux.
There's no hassle using Cygwin though. It integrates into Windows, and the only difference is that your shortcut is named Cygwin instead of Terminal. At least in my experience - what do you do that you can't do in Cygwin? (Other than having to install packages in Cygwin instead of just at the OS level).

Anyway, buy my Mini! :idea:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Well, to be honest, I haven't used Cygwin in about three years. Still, I just always hated the concept of having to run apps inside of an app, as to having full integration.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, to be honest, I haven't used Cygwin in about three years. Still, I just always hated the concept of having to run apps inside of an app, as to having full integration.
True enough.

(YO DOGG, WE HEARD YOU LIKE APPS...)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I don't really miss anything at all. I'm not a big gamer (I only play L4D2 at work, never at home) and for audio, photos, and video, OS X is just plain better. I run MS Office, of which I actually prefer on the Mac. NX, SSH, VNC, etc. all work better on the Mac. The virtual desktops is built-in, as opposed to the 3rd party drivel available on Windows, and I use that shit a ton.

I do like Windows 7, as I've mentioned before. And the roll out is going quite well except for the users who fear change.

But for me personally, I use just OS X at work and at home, and also have a decent Ubuntu 9.10 box running at home too for when I don't feel like booting up my laptop.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The only thing holding me back to be honest is my inability to find a program/script to turn off the fucking mouse acceleration in OSX. :mad:
Do you have the Logitech Control Center installed? It has a tracking speed multiplier setting that I keep on 1. If you are using the Apple mouse, then throw it out a window and go buy another Logitech.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have the Logitech Control Center installed? It has a tracking speed multiplier setting that I keep on 1. If you are using the Apple mouse, then throw it out a window and go buy another Logitech.
I do, yeah. I use a Logi Performance MX on the Mac. Accel still kills me. It's not the multiplier, it's the acceleration curve that I can't get used to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts