Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, basically, my situation is that I have yet another year of studentdom ahead of me, coupled with a pretty shaky employment situation (as in, struggling to find work), and am contemplating selling a few of my guitars that are currently stuck at my parents' house just to make my finances a bit more stable for a while.

The ones that would go would be at least my Jackson 6er and Yamaha baritone 6er. I'd rather note sell either of them, especially the Jackson, as that was my first nice guitar, and I'd had an idea in the back of my head about eventually passing it on to someone, but they both need pick-up swaps to be up to par with my other guitars, and I'm note sure whether I can afford to have so much money tied up in things that are basically expensive toys (I never gig at all, don't record much, and aren't likely to be joining a band any time soon) when I don't get the chance to play them much.

Any ideas?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
if you look at them as toys, go for it. sounds to me like even though its not a work implement, that the jackson in particular youre attached to and dont actually view as a toy, youre just quantifying it as such to justify selling it.

if you view them as toys, sell away. just make sure thats what you really think first, and not something youre just telling yourself

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you look at them as toys, go for it. sounds to me like even though its not a work implement, that the jackson in particular youre attached to and dont actually view as a toy, youre just quantifying it as such to justify selling it.

if you view them as toys, sell away. just make sure thats what you really think first, and not something youre just telling yourself
You've hit it on the head really...I've got a lot of emotional investment in my guitars, it's just I'm not sure whether that's a luxury I can allow myself at the moment.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Find shitty bad work dude.

i opted to work at a fast food place over selling my guitars a while back. I constantly sell guitars looking for something else, but i would never sell them for something else. Too much invested emotionally like you said. Id rather have the guitars, with an emotional tie, and live hard and rough for a while than have things run smoothly and go without an emotional plus.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find shitty bad work dude.

i opted to work at a fast food place over selling my guitars a while back. I constantly sell guitars looking for something else, but i would never sell them for something else. Too much invested emotionally like you said. Id rather have the guitars, with an emotional tie, and live hard and rough for a while than have things run smoothly and go without an emotional plus.
Yeah, I've had quite a few terrible jobs this past year for that reason. Suppose I just have to keep sucking it up.

Next time I go home I might bring them back up to London with me.

Cheers for the perspective dude. Appreciate it.:yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
:yesway:

FWIW, bring them home. its a lot easier to appreciate them when they're in the same city as you ;)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
OK, basically, my situation is that I have yet another year of studentdom ahead of me, coupled with a pretty shaky employment situation (as in, struggling to find work), and am contemplating selling a few of my guitars that are currently stuck at my parents' house just to make my finances a bit more stable for a while.

The ones that would go would be at least my Jackson 6er and Yamaha baritone 6er. I'd rather note sell either of them, especially the Jackson, as that was my first nice guitar, and I'd had an idea in the back of my head about eventually passing it on to someone, but they both need pick-up swaps to be up to par with my other guitars, and I'm note sure whether I can afford to have so much money tied up in things that are basically expensive toys (I never gig at all, don't record much, and aren't likely to be joining a band any time soon) when I don't get the chance to play them much.

Any ideas?
yup: sell your least favourite expensive one (sounds like you have 2) and the yamaha. you need pickup swaps to make those 2 at the same level? sell the yamaha, keep the jackson - you have a tie to it. sell all the expensive ones save your favourite.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup: sell your least favourite expensive one (sounds like you have 2) and the yamaha. you need pickup swaps to make those 2 at the same level? sell the yamaha, keep the jackson - you have a tie to it. sell all the expensive ones save your favourite.
Just to clarify, the ones that might go would be...

The Jackson 6, simply because my headless has similar specs and currently sounds better. If I kept it I'd slap an X2N in the bridge at the very least.

The Dean semi. I love it to death, but I've got the Les Paul too (which I definitely won't be selling) and I'm not sure I can afford to have multiple guitars that do basically the same thing.

The Yamaha baritone. It's a great instrument, but again needs new PUs.

Both my basses. Again, both great instruments, but not sure if I count as enough of a bassist to warrant them.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it looks like I'll definitely be keeping the Jackson, as I took the plunge and ordered an X2N for it.:lol: My mum's having it installed by the same guy who put the Blazes in my M207 as a birthday present, so it should be all ready and waiting when I go home in a few weeks.:) Yay!

I've decided I'm going to hang onto my axes for now, but am looking at selling my old keyboard instead to raise a little extra cash.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
whats your keyboard man? I quite fancy getting one and I 'might' be able to afford buying it off you as I quite fancy picking up keys again and recording some silly symphonic black metal :p

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Sell the ones you are never going to realistically play, yes, it's sentimantality, but you can always sell, and then if you find you didn't need to, then buy something nice that you will play with the proceeds

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whats your keyboard man? I quite fancy getting one and I 'might' be able to afford buying it off you as I quite fancy picking up keys again and recording some silly symphonic black metal :p
It's an old Casio one. Not exactly pro-level stuff, but has a built-in sequencer and so forth, and comes with a proper stand.

I'm thinking about £80 for the thing...

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sell the ones you are never going to realistically play, yes, it's sentimantality, but you can always sell, and then if you find you didn't need to, then buy something nice that you will play with the proceeds
Yeah, that's what I'm probably going to have to do if the financial situation doesn't improve. That's why I'm getting rid of the keyboard, as I never get the chance to practice that at all, and have probably forgotten most of what I did know.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
keep the guitars you're attached to. i dunno how hard it is to track down guitars you never wanted to get rid of (shitty or not), and i dont plan on finding out :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts