Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering giving it a whirl. I am perfectly content with the BKP Cold Sweat combo in the guitar at the moment, but I thought it might be fun to toss a single-coil in the neck.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I buy a Rio Grande, Seymour Duncan or BKP single-coil if there are any tricks or routing involved to getting it in the humbucker cavity. I've seen it done before and it's not the prettiest thing, but big deal?

Also, would I have to order it in RWRP in order to get the middle position to be hum-cancelling?

Rio Grande Muy Grande, BKP Irish Tour, and Seymour Duncan SSL-5 all sound like they'd work.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about getting a single coil hidden under humbucker cover?
Possible. I'm more worried about dimensions. Single-coils have that triangle baseplate thing going on, and this is direct mount, so it has to either slide right in to the existing cavity or I have to modify the route or the baseplate.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seymour Duncan SSL-5 7-string:

Compared to SD 7-string humbucker:

The width of the tab route appears wide enough to accept the single coil bobbin.

I guess there is no triangle baseplate? I thought single-coil routes looked like this for a reason:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some single coils have triangular baseplates.

Bare Knuckle.
I know that the BKP 7-string versions don't have baseplates at this time... I guess a triangular baseplate is an old vintage thing?

The Rio Grandes appear to have said baseplate. I figure this would interfere with directly mounting the pickup.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Have a pickguard made, and carve away :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Is your neck HB 4 conductor? Just split it, and see how it sounds. Guarenteed, you will likey :winning:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe a crazy idea but why not get a replacement body routered for the pup already and then swap the bodies if you like it go for it on your Ibby or leave it as is if your not, it might cost you a bit extra to try but at least you will still have a perfectly in tact Ibby body?

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I managed to fit a single coil into the neck of an old RG7321 of mine ages ago, only thing I found was that the screws didn't quite fit into the holes for the humbucker screws on one side so I had to make new ones.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Riogrande makes 7 string humbuckers that are literally just 2 7string singles. Always an option.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
You can do it without a pickguard. You just have to make sure to put as much solid wood back into the pickup cavity as possible. Rout the necessary ends so your replacement fits, and then use some scrap wood, cut into the right shapes and height with wood glue and a dust/epoxy mix to adhere your wood into place. The trick is, you want to use as little of the epoxy filler and glue as possible as it constricts as it dries.

If you're refinishing the guitar with a fresh coat of primer and paint, it will look as if it was made that way.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
I can confirm the Rio-Grande single coil 7-string pickups will not fit into a humbucker cavity without some modification.

As already suggested, trying doing the split-coil humbucker before routing your guitar. It's relatively easy and totally reversable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts