Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my Axe-2 has vacated my desk and is heading to Leon's, I have some space to fill. I have a 4U studio desk, 2x2 side by side.

I don't need any more preamps or power amps (already have the Axe-3, Kemper, Mesa 20/20, a 5150 and a 6505 combo). One side of the desk is my interface and power conditioner. What kind of nifty bits can I slap in the other side?

I thought about perhaps getting another Stroborack, but since the KPA has a strobe, the Axe-3 has an always-on tuner and I also have a Pitchblack pedal as the very first thing in my signal chain for each of them I don't think I'd actually use it much. I know a Triaxis would fit in there and carry on the MG tradition lately, but I don't think I'd really use that much either and I'd obviously need a 2:90 to go with it.

What are some nifty 1 or 2U things I can toss in here?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Patchbays are always cool, and would go nicely in a desk and be highly usable.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c958--Patchbays

Other than that I would say just go with some sort of VU meter.

An equalizer with as many bands as possible is also a good choice. Although more ITB guys will frown on shit like that, I personally like adjusting sliders and potentiometers getter than I like adjusting things with a mouse.

Rane would be a company to look at for stuff like that. DBX as well. Although there are a lot of older companies that no longer make rack units. Electro voice and JBL both have a lot of discontinued stuff.

Crossover control is also cool if you have a set up that requires one.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Lots of (rackmount and otherwise) synthesizers allow for inputs you can then run through their LFOs and filters...not sure how useable that would really be but it's a whole world out there.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Lots of (rackmount and otherwise) synthesizers allow for inputs you can then run through their LFOs and filters...not sure how useable that would really be but it's a whole world out there.
I don't think you are going to be able to convince Chris to get synthesizer related stuff. You can't play Heavy Metal with a synthesizer.

Of course, Iron Maiden did do two landmark albums with synthesizers shortly after Bruce Dickinson dropped that eminently quotable observation.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only acceptable Maiden synth is the intro to Moonchild. And I want to believe that Adrian did that with volume swells.

A synth actually is a cool idea though. The only problem is that instead of making boring shred songs nobody listens to, I'd do nothing but make boring Dimmu Borgir ripoff songs nobody listens to.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You can also convert rack mount spaces to hold 500 series modules by getting the right 500 series chassis, which opens up a lot more shit.

Most of the 500 series chassis that mount in rack spaces are vertically oriented and require quite a bit more than 2 spaces in height, but there are horizontal ones.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bento2--fredenstein-bento-2-2-slot-chassis

If you like outboard shit, 500 series is an option.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
You wouldn't get synth sounds really, the synth's inherent sounds come from its oscillators and your guitar tone would replace that bit of the chain. What you would get is the synth's envelops, filters, etc. It's tough to find a decent video of this, but this one looks good for at least explaining the concept.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
UA 6176.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
why is anyone bothering to post anything that isn't Mustaine's D-Link network switcher?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Do you have a good tube mic pre? I run any instruments or vocals through a tube mic pre and it definitely makes a difference. Even a cheap one can be very good.

Also do you have a distressor compressor? It's expensive and does one thing very well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELI8M--empirical-labs-el8-distressor
I'd argue a really good mic pre in general makes a way bigger difference than whether or not there's a tube in it somewhere.

But, nothing says corksniffer cred like a fancy mic pre with lots of knobs and a big VU meter!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I'd argue a really good mic pre in general makes a way bigger difference than whether or not there's a tube in it somewhere.

But, nothing says corksniffer cred like a fancy mic pre with lots of knobs and a big VU meter!
Tubes ALWAYS make things better. More tubes = more betters

1 - 20 of 69 Posts