Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The singer in this band just totally destroys, he has amazing power metal cleans with brutal death metal growls.

They just came out with their EP, and its available to stream on their band camp:

Nostalgia | Corelia

Have been really digging these guys, also FYI the singer is currently on tour with The Human Abstract (since their singer left).

:metal:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The cleans dont sound very power metal to me at all? It just sounds like most other vocalists in this genre, but he has a much larger range. If anything, the vocalist sounds to me more like Periphery meets Myles Kennedy.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
He's not as whiny as a lot of djent singers, but the phrasing still leaves something to be desired - and he's certainly nowhere near the power of a "classic" metal singer like Allen or Dickinson. Of course, the band doesn't give him much to work with from a melodic standpoint, either. It's not bad - there's certainly moments that are interesting - but the material fails to grab me.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This band just keeps reminding me why I wish this genre would die.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
I don't understand why all the hate, at least you can respect most of these djent bands for their technical abilities.
Agreed. This band has blown me away. I think everyone is grouping them with Djent because the fan base. There really is no djent in there. It is just super crazy guitar work.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
At least I don't hear djent stuff. The singers maybe the same style, but fuck, the guitars aren't. If you guys classify over the top guitar lines and leads as djent...I think you've gone crazy. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-32) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I just really don't like the vocals :shrug:

That's a big part of the Symphony X draw for me, and what kills pretty much every band like this for me.

Also, overall melodic and dynamic content is lacking.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lack of dynamics? Seriously? :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
There isn't a single memorable riff... it's all just frenetic widdly lines that really don't have any discernable melody. It's not horrible, it's just very, very forgettable.

Also, on-off "dynamics" don't count. Random keyboard breaks where everything else drops out don't count. I'm talking push-pull, tension-and-release kind of stuff.

[action=Josh]is an old fogey and thinks this had potential if they put more time into writing hooks and songs and less time into mindless shredding.[/action]

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im the opposite I guess, I dont really care much for hooks. I thought it was pretty melodic though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

Im the opposite I guess, I dont really care much for hooks. I thought it was pretty melodic though.
I like songs that have something memorable about them. This was a bunch of disjointed guitar lines, stuttery rhythms, and some decent clean vocals that the guitars stomped all over with more random solos.

You'd rather just hear shredding over everything for five minutes rather than something you can hum along with or even remember after a listen or two?

I mean, there's a ton of technicality and epic instrumentation in this song, with incredible vocal delivery, yet there's still an awesome singable chorus and melodies that will get stuck in your head rather than sequences that just blaze by once at the speed of light, quickly forgotten in favor of other equally unmemorable sequences.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
At least I don't hear djent stuff. The singers maybe the same style, but fuck, the guitars aren't. If you guys classify over the top guitar lines and leads as djent...I think you've gone crazy. :lol:
The vocals, the production is VERY like the genre, and the fact they are nuthugging Sikth, thats probably what is pointing most people towards it.

I don't dislike this completely, it has a lot in it thats really cool, but when the title says "Symphony X", and the only thing it has in common with Symphony X is "the guy can hit some high notes" and "they widdle a bit", that aint what Symphony X is about for me.

You have to admit, this is the kind of the band that if you are into "djent", they would not be out of place in your collection.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I don't understand why all the hate, at least you can respect most of these djent bands for their technical abilities.
I don't have an issue with the technical abilities of dent bands, it's the band wagonry I can't stand. A lot of them copy other bands that are already copying someone else

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Thrash and most other genres are equally guilty.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-32) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I just really don't like the vocals :shrug:

That's a big part of the Symphony X draw for me, and what kills pretty much every band like this for me.

Also, overall melodic and dynamic content is lacking.
^this exactly.
If the vocal styles are all exactly the same then it's going to sound the same even if it isn't "true Djent" you young guys today way over clasify and Genre tag everything.
This "genre" has definitely evolved into "music for other musicians".

I played one of Nollys tracks, this track and a periphery track to 2 friends of mine today, one that is not a musician but has always been into heavy bands,
and the other guy who has been my guitar "mentor" for the last 20 years.
They both thought all 3 cuts were the same band. :ugh:
nuff said.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts