Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, but here goes.:squint:

:idea:I'm thinking of getting rid of a few of my beater guitars and purchasing a used Epiphone LP.:scratch: I'm talking about one of the newer set neck, higher end ones; definitely not a bolt neck. This may be the only way I'll be able to get a Les Paul since, I am out of work due to health issues, and can't justify the much more expensive Gibson variety.:scream: Has anyone here had or still have one? I'd like to know what you think of them. I've read that changing the pots and caps for CTS pots and paper in oil caps will really bring one to life. Is this true? It's been said that Epiphone has really stepped up their game lately. Can anyone verify this?

On with the flack gentlemen.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've got one of these, it's a real diamond in the rough...

Epiphone Tribute Les Paul Standard

I pulled it from a GuitarCenter used for $400.

#1 thing, try before you buy! Play as many as you can. A LOT of those Epi LP's are turds.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Look out for used Edwards, Orville, Tokai, Greco and Burny LP style guitars. Made in Japan, killer guitars and can be had for between $400 and $1500. They will eat an Epiphone any day of the week.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Disclaimer, I'm highly biased: I work at a PRS dealer. However, I think a new or used SE245 will be a better guitar. Wait until Black Friday, and Sweetwater clears out the current year's SE's for basically cost.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've read that changing the pots and caps for CTS pots and paper in oil caps will really bring one to life.
Bourns and no caps.

No one really needs tone pots, they just kid themselves into thinking they do. Leave the pots in as dummies but only wire up two volumes. Push pull on either or both, depending on preference.

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
I have an Epiphone SG that I got for $150, it really is a lot of guitar for the money. Setup and action were great right off. I've had to sand/replace nuts on two other Epiphones that belonged to my buddies (one a Les Paul and one a Thunderhorse explorer) so watch out for that. Also the stock pickups are usable @ best. And, what Jeff said. An SE singlecut would be what I'd get on a budget.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got one of these, it's a real diamond in the rough...

Epiphone Tribute Les Paul Standard

I pulled it from a GuitarCenter used for $400.

#1 thing, try before you buy! Play as many as you can. A LOT of those Epi LP's are turds.
I have heard Epis are hit and miss like that. I plan on trying before I buy for sure.:yesway:

How much can you swing...?
Somewhere in the 300 - 400 range. I'll have to see what I get for my piles of :poop:.

Look out for used Edwards, Orville, Tokai, Greco and Burny LP style guitars. Made in Japan, killer guitars and can be had for between $400 and $1500. They will eat an Epiphone any day of the week.
I have heard the Japanese copies are pretty good. I just really want a set neck for once.

Disclaimer, I'm highly biased: I work at a PRS dealer. However, I think a new or used SE245 will be a better guitar. Wait until Black Friday, and Sweetwater clears out the current year's SE's for basically cost.
I'll check them out, but they are a bit more than I want to spend, and I really want a Les Paul.:yesway:

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
I want one too, don't feel bad, especially with the guys buying Jem Jr's :D BAHAHA

But I played a Epi LP at GC last week with the natural red finish, and the neck felt like shit, it wasn't even sanded smooth, you could feel all texture to the wood.

I got minor GAS for a Zakk Wylde, or a white with gold hardware. Some people say the only difference between a Gibson and an Epi is the pickups.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bourns and no caps.

No one really needs tone pots, they just kid themselves into thinking they do. Leave the pots in as dummies but only wire up two volumes. Push pull on either or both, depending on preference.
I'll keep that in mind.

I have an Epiphone SG that I got for $150, it really is a lot of guitar for the money. Setup and action were great right off. I've had to sand/replace nuts on two other Epiphones that belonged to my buddies (one a Les Paul and one a Thunderhorse explorer) so watch out for that. Also the stock pickups are usable @ best. And, what Jeff said. An SE singlecut would be what I'd get on a budget.
I don't mind upgrading stuff later. At least that is something I can do over time, and it isn't a Gibson so I won't feel like I'm committing an act of heresy.:flex:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I came in here to say this.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Jeff said:
:hesright:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Also seems to me that Drew has a very nice PRS SE singlecut in tobacco sunburst that he wants $400 for - under the thread: Thinning the herd.

I'm still trying to decide on it myself - I really want a white 245 but that singlecut is nice.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
PIO caps are a waste. There is no electrical difference between a ceramic cap and a PIO. The difference is the extra ten bucks.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The main difference between Gibson and Epiphone, aside from the name on the headstock, is better QC. Since Gibson QC is abysmal these days, Epiphones look a little more attractive. :lol:

Definitely try before you buy, though. I've played a bunch of pretty meh Epis and a couple legitimately nice ones. This makes it a little harder to go used since that's a function of what's available, but you don't want to buy one sight unseen unless you have to.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
So, treat Epis exactly like Gibsons. ;)

If you're not looking for the specific "look" of a traditional Gibson LP, go for an SE245. I would play those over today's Epi or Gibson LPs any day of the week. Consistent quality & playability, sounds great & affordable. To me, the PRS SE line is the best "bang for the buck" out there. My goldtop SE245 is a vintage style tone machine. It's an LP killer. So hurry up & GO BUY DREW'S GUITAR!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts