1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,052 Posts
Didn't realize how many JPs you had :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You need a spectrum analyzer for the top of that rack. All the good ones are discontinued though.

The stroborack is also looking tragically underutilized there at the bottom. :lol: Can you even read it there?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
BTW, since you mentioned occasionally micing the cabs you should pick up a Sennheiser side address e906 or e609 for your closet thing. Those are super fucking convenient if you want to mic a cab occasionally but don't want to position a stand every time. You just flick whatever the mic is plugged into on when you want it and go. No positioning stands.

They are designed so you can drape them over the cab. It's cool always having the option there without having to position a stand, though you can use them with a stand too, and you wouldn't have to take a shit down everytime you want to close the closet doors.

Besides, Mesa (and Sweetwater and a bunch of other companies) uses draped Sennheiser side address models for their official demos. So you can't get a better endorsement than that.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't realize how many JPs you had :lol:
I will probably have another one or two before long. I GAS hard for the koa one. They're so ugly but man, so comfy and reliable.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need a spectrum analyzer for the top of that rack. All the good ones are discontinued though.
The one in the Fractal is super awesome, it's straight out of 1987. I'll grab a pic when not on my phone but its called the RTA block. You can customize the bands and whatnot too. It's the best thing ever.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_Analyzer_block

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, since you mentioned occasionally micing the cabs you should pick up a Sennheiser side address e906 or e609 for your closet thing. Those are super fucking convenient if you want to mic a cab occasionally but don't want to position a stand every time. You just flick whatever the mic is plugged into on when you want it and go. No positioning stands.
I have one somewhere actually. I own a bunch of mics from various phases of wanting to mic up cabs. At the end of the day for what I do it's just easier to use the Kemper, because it sounds just as good anyway. My 4x12 is at least 10 years old, probably more, and I wasn't the first owner. It's a decent sounding V30 cab but nothing special and more than a little long in the tooth.

The only cab I'd consider micing up is that C90 1x12 and I already made an impulse of it so there's really no need. Plus I can't really afford to go down the mic rabbit hole the way Drew did, he has like 10 large in mic pres now. It's a slippery, expensive slope. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Balls. :yum:

As much as I love Music Mans, that RG2120X is my favorite. :agreed: And now that I think of it... I should get one or two MMs back in the collection. Been a while since I've had a good set of balls.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The only cab I'd consider micing up is that C90 1x12 and I already made an impulse of it so there's really no need. Plus I can't really afford to go down the mic rabbit hole the way Drew did, he has like 10 large in mic pres now. It's a slippery, expensive slope. :lol:
Does he store them like wines in a hardwood maturation cabinet?

Drew probably made the smart choice here.

Drew's Homeowner Insurance Agent: "Look at this client and his wise investments that actually have listed values that are on the books somewhere"

Chris's Homeowner Insurance Agent: "A killer dyna-bite neck pickup you say? Yeah, our policy covers that......I have no idea what that is........ but yeah, we'll just put that on the list with all the other stuff."

·
Dream Crusher
21,052 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to change my bass strings a lot. Not anymore and I cannot really tell the difference.
Really? Any time I record something I think there might be a remote possibility of keeping I throw fresh strings on. The difference is night and day.

(I end up trashing the recording anyway because I'm a shit bass player but the point remains, lol)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
There's a shit ton of opinions on bass strings all over the board. The guy in U2 has his changed between every song. Some guys play with silk gloves. Some guys soak the strings in fried chicken grease out of the box. Not a joke either, the chicken grease method is real.

Personally I think a lot of the guitar guys are using the wrong picks and attribute it to strings. Possibly also not picking close enough to the saddles coming from guitar. You definitely need dedicated bass picks. Tortex and shit like that blow on bass. Delrin is OK but still not optimal. Nylon and shit like that kind of suck too. Ultex blows too.

The Juratex acetyl polymer Cool Picks is where its at as far as pickstyle goes. I'm primarily a fingerstyle guy, but those are the best bass picks by a huge margin. You also need the triangle ones for maximum oomph. The triangle ones fucking blow on guitar, but on bass they have the edge.

These bad boys. https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Picks-J...ool+picks+triangle&qid=1609688960&sr=8-1&th=1 There isn't a better pick for pickstyle bass in existence.

A couple other companies make similar formulations but the Cool picks ones are kings. The Clayton ones suck in comparison.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I threw this together for my homeowner's insurance
Make sure to check your policy. Most homeowners policies only cover something like $500 or $1000 per item up to a maximum amount of $3000 or $5000. If you haven't already, you may want to talk with your insurance company about scheduling some of these higher-end guitars and amps.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
I'd agree with picks being a big thing when playing bass. When I'm just rough tracking I usually just use Jazz III, but when I'm doing anything worse actually releasing, I have a handful of Winspear picks to choose from.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts