Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You don't get something for nothing.

By implanting the gold nanoparticles into the leaves of the Bacopa caroliniana plants, the scientists were able to induce the chlorophyll in the leaves to produce a red emission. Under a high wavelength of ultraviolet light, the gold nanoparticles were able to produce a blue-violet fluorescence to trigger a red emission in the surrounding chlorophyll.
Translation: If we put gold nanoparticles in the leaves of trees, then zap them with skin baking, cancer causing UV light, they glow.

So, instead of producing an LED, they want to inoculate trees with gold, put UV lamps on them, and then they will glow. That's going to cost more money for the gold and the power to run the UV lamps, than the original LED's :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
While not economically feasible, it is nonetheless a pretty fucking cool concept.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I just wonder what negative effect it might have on the trees themselves, since they'd be lit up 24/7 and would be in a constant state of photosynthesis.

Also, what happens in the seasons when deciduous trees lose their leaves?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
What about when the leaves fall off in the fall? Seems like it wouldn't save the world to gold coat trees every spring :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next level of froot: finishing your guitar with nanoparticles then zapping with UV.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Next level of froot: finishing your guitar with nanoparticles then zapping with UV.
I bet Ibanez will do it for the Steve Vai 50th Anniversary Model or something: the UV777UV, or the JEM777UV.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I bet Ibanez will do it for the Steve Vai 50th Anniversary Model or something: the UV777UV, or the JEM777UV.
Then we can pay five grand for another shitty sounding Ibanez! :woohoo:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm waiting for the version with full-body OLED screen and built-in fan to blow Steve's hair back.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
was my mom hanging out there again?? jesus christ man

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Sounds like something out of a post-apocalyptic world where radiation has mutated plants into glowing luminescent monstrosities with spores that, when inhaled, grow inside the victim, quickly killing them from the inside out. :ugh:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sounds like something out of a post-apocalyptic world where radiation has mutated plants into glowing luminescent monstrosities with spores that, when inhaled, grow inside the victim, quickly killing them from the inside out. :ugh:
Sometimes I'm really glad I don't live inside your head :agreed:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Rather than fuck about with the trees, how about someone finds a way to make tarmac glow in the dark?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts