Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped by GC yesterday to pick up some strings (D'Addario balanced tension, my current favorites), and played a few amps, then went to my buddy's shop in my hometown, and played the TA-15 and ROV25 again, but also the TA-30 as well.

1. Valveking 20w(?) mini head. They refreshed the series, and now they've got this little head. Nice feature set on paper (switchable wattage down to 5w, direct out with load, two channels).

Ugh. It reminded me why I sold the VK100 pretty quickly years and years ago. Sounds like there's a blanket over the speaker, really flubby too. At $430, you could either spend a little more and get a much better amp, or do well used. What's notable beyond the tone is two things: I had to check to make sure this thing was on 20 watts, because it is NOT a loud amp. In no way does it compete with a 25 watt Mesa or even a 15 watt Orange. Second, if you thought the build quality of the original series was bad, this is even worse. Really cheap feeling knobs, cabinet, etc.

2. JVM205h and 410h. I just continue to really dig these amps. Just what I hear in my head as THE Marshall sound that I'm familiar with. If I actually wanted a 50w head again, the 205 is a great amp. They do do well at lower volumes though; more so than any older Marshall head I'm familiar with.

3. Orange OR15 head. Pleasantly surprised, actually, since I don't like the TT or DT at all. More of a "vintage-ey" British vibe, loud as hell for a 15 watt head. Not too terribly versatile, but pretty dynamic for a one channel amp. For $700 new, it's a pretty sweet amp.

And at my friend's shop:

1. TA-15. Still love this little guy, still can't buy it because delay doesn't sound right up front. Needs loop! A perfect British amp from Mesa would be a TA-15 series II, for $1099, with loop and verb.

2. ROV25. What can I say, I love this amp. The combo is fun, but the head with a closed back 1x12 is still the ultimate micro stack. Channel 1 on Pushed is THE best breakup tone ever, to me.

3. TA-30. Really, it's more of the 15, but with the loop and verb. The reverb coupled with top boost on channel one is pretty amazing, particularly on 15w class A; very Vox-ey. Hi1 is classic Plexi-ish tones. Apparently there was a hiss/hum associated with this amp early on, but this one didn't have it. I'm guessing Mesa worked out the bugs, because this amp was damn quiet, even with the MV at noon!

I love this amp, BUT.....it's too damn loud, and for what it's offering over the 15, too expensive. Like I said, a TA-15 with the same feature set for $300 more would be a great value.

Fun day off for sure. Also played an acoustic baritone that sounded crazy good. 27" scale, cedar top. Wow.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

I LOVE my JVM1, if you want that ultra high gain modern Marshall sound at very reasonable volumes. The clean channel is a joke though.

The JCM1 is fantastic too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So they can make a VK20 but no 6505 mini? The fuck are they thinking?
Yeah that thought did cross my mind. Seems like an American made 6505 Mini for $800-$900 would go head to head with a Mini Rec.

Never heard of the mini valveking not a fan of the regular one thoughx3
Sounds a lot like I remember the VK100 sounding, therefore you won't like this one either.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, played on a G&L Legacy 2HB which is just a sick guitar, as well as a G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II, which is an amazing guitar for around $450. The neck profile is fantastic.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
I really would LOVE the TA-30 since I love the Vox chime but as you said the price increase compared to the TA-15 is horrible. Also it's sad that there is a mini 5150 but the Mini Rectifier fills that roll well.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I really would LOVE the TA-30 since I love the Vox chime but as you said the price increase compared to the TA-15 is horrible. Also it's sad that there is a mini 5150 but the Mini Rectifier fills that roll well.
I'm not sure anything can compete with a mini rec, easily one of my favorite amps. Jeff, is the store with the ROV's the same place you told me about a while back in a previous thread?

4,429 Posts
It's also got a bigger power section to go along with the verb, and loop. I wouldn't say the price difference is worth it for everyone, but I love the ta30's power section and that alone was worth the price difference to me. Also on the used market the price difference isn't as bad.

I'd agree that a TA15 with the feature set of the TA30 would be a great amp. I would even consider buying one in addition to my TA30 if I had the scratch. (I require an effects loop for looping).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's also got a bigger power section to go along with the verb, and loop. I wouldn't say the price difference is worth it for everyone, but I love the ta30's power section and that alone was worth the price difference to me. Also on the used market the price difference isn't as bad.

I'd agree that a TA15 with the feature set of the TA30 would be a great amp. I would even consider buying one in addition to my TA30 if I had the scratch. (I require an effects loop for looping).
I used the TA-30 on 40w very briefly. The rest of the time it was on 30 or even 15. This type of amp just doesn't need a ton of wattage.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Interesting. I guess that's what causes the huge price difference. The TA-15 with those features would then of course be closer to it in price. I love Voxy Chime cleans so I do prefer the 30 over the 15 for clean headroom.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I guess that's what causes the huge price difference. The TA-15 with those features would then of course be closer to it in price. I love Voxy Chime cleans so I do prefer the 30 over the 15 for clean headroom.
It would/should be $1099, just like the ROV25. Just having the TA circuit instead of Recto design. ROV25 has a loop and reverb with 25w for that price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.