Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of an odd question I know, but if you guys ever do cover songs, do you play them in their original tuning, or in your own tuning?

The reason I ask, is my band is gonna cover a song, and the song is originally in D# standard, but we're either gonna be covering it in dropped C, or B standard. Sacrilege or not? The song is this...

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I think it depends on the song, really. Some songs work in a different tuning, and others don't.

Just dont drop tune. :yesway:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I'd say play it in your band's tuning unless it just sounds wrong. It will add more of your band's "flavor" to it and help make it more of a cover and less of a performance of someone else's song.

·
By your command!
180 Posts
I'd say play it in your band's tuning unless it just sounds wrong. It will add more of your band's "flavor" to it and help make it more of a cover and less of a performance of someone else's song.
QFT.

We do all our covers in Bb/Eb, regardless. Some work better than other but no issues yet

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
I've found 2 things about changing the tuning. You can get away with going 1/2 step lower than the original, but I wouldn't go any lower than that, otherwise it changes the feel of the song. And you can never go up in tuning for a cover, because it sounds totally wrong.

·
Big
272 Posts
In Pharaoh, we covered a New Model army song that was originally played on half-step detuned guitars, and we tuned it up (specifically, from Ab to A)!

The whole point of a cover is to put your own spin on it, so who cares what key it's in?

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I think it really depends on the song and what you want to do with it. I sometimes cover pop songs that were originally in 6-string standard that I do in 7-string standard and take the notes about an octave lower.

I've found 2 things about changing the tuning. You can get away with going 1/2 step lower than the original, but I wouldn't go any lower than that, otherwise it changes the feel of the song. And you can never go up in tuning for a cover, because it sounds totally wrong.
I strongly disagree.

1 whole step up from the original tuning (from D standard to E standard):

(Although we are playing on seven strings and a six-string bass, we never use the B string)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts