Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any products from CrackpotzEffects?

I have an Ibanez S7420 and would like to replace the tone pot with one of these:

Also, it would need the 9v battery. Does anyone know if this would fit?

Thanks . . .

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Never tried them out, should have plenty of room for batteries, seen a few S7420's with EMGs. I'd be interested in the boost or compressor models.

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to have a pair of Blackouts installed and the body was too thin. Mine's an older model, from 2000, so I'm wondering if the ones from back then have less room for a larger pot and a 9 volt . . .

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The S7420 can fit a battery, just, if you squeeze it, my main concern would actually be how deep those pots are - they may not fit without fouling the cavity cover.

Never heard of the units personally, but they must be good - the designer has spent so much time designing them he's not heard that Comic Sans is an offence that carries the death penalty.

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem was that the Blackouts wouldn't fit at all. The body on the S7420 is too thin to allow for any routing, so I'm looking for an alternative. I have pre-amps (Stratoblasters) on my 2 Strats which replace the output jacks, but the Ibanez is a bit more problematic in that regard . . .

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The problem was that the Blackouts wouldn't fit at all. The body on the S7420 is too thin to allow for any routing, so I'm looking for an alternative. I have pre-amps (Stratoblasters) on my 2 Strats which replace the output jacks, but the Ibanez is a bit more problematic in that regard . . .
Are you talking about Blackout pickups or their preamp nonsense? Blackout pickups will fit in the S-series.

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we tried them they pushed up against the strings. My S7420 is from 2000, so maybe the bodies were thinner at that time . . .

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
No, I'm talking about the real S7420's, not the shitty reissues. I was originally going to put my Blackouts in my S7420FM, and with a set of vernier calipers gauge you'll see it can be done. There's only a few mm between the pickup cavities and the trem cavity, mind. Also, in routing down you lose some of the wood that sits between the neck and the neck pickup cavity, but it can be done, and it doesn't affect neck stability.

I'd still advise against it, mind. There are better pickups out there.

·
From Parts Unknown
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I guess I've never had them before, so there's the curiosity factor. Also, I'm somewhat of a tinkerer, so there's that. I'd like to have the option of boosting the output like I can with my Strats. I'd settle for an onboard preamp . . .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Seymour Duncan now makes a volume pot with the Blackout preamp built into it so you can use the whatever pickup you want and use the active preamp module to juice the gain.:metal:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Which pick-ups would you suggest? I'd like to go with something active if possible . . .
If you're interested at all in going passive, you really should consider the Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. I have a Ibanez 7420FM and I put those in and it sounds amazing. Those pickups were designed with a mahogany guitar and it really does make a big difference. I can't speak for the Bare KNuckle stuff personally but they are enormously expensive.

I have Blackouts in my 2 Schecter 8 strings and they sound great. They sound very natural and not sterile like the EMG's do. The trick with the Blackouts is to back them off the strings. A lot of guys put active pickups as close to the strings as possible and they sounds like crap that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts