Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some crap. I would appreciate your opinions on the mix of this crap. Crap.

Seriously though, I've been working on this mix for a little while, and I'm getting too damn close to it to actually tell whether it sounds good or not. I'm not obsessing about the mixes with the few tracks that I'm working on just now - I just want them to sound decent, with everything sounding pretty clear and balanced.

There is a slight amount of turd polishing going on here, moreso with the drums than anything else (apart from my playing, obviously). The snare was only mic'd from the top, and because John is such a loud drummer, it's all top skin and no actual snare, so it's got a bit of a St. Anger vibe going on, except I've got an actual drummer, not Lars Ulrich. I quite like it though, it does have a nice sharp cut to it, but it is quite metallic and pingy, which is annoying because the snare was made entirely of wood...

Anyway, here's the crap. Don't slate it too much.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8097709/Running Out Of Time John 24-44 MP3 -07-04-13.mp3

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I listened on the KRK's and on some Beats headphones and it sounds nice to me. Guitar is a little in your face....but I gather that's exactly what you where going for....so yeah....nice. The guitar seems a tad brighter(more lively) than the bass and drums....just a tad.

It's been really cool watching you "mature" in your playing over the years as well, great chops man.:yesway:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yup, definitely crap. :yesway:

I didn't think I was going to like the bass tone in the intro, but when it kicked in properly t sounded pretty awesome. Drums sound great, man - the double kick at the end will probably require a little bit of automation to pull it back down a bit, but the snare sounded fine to me.

From an arangement standpoint, I kind of want to hear a bit more rhythm guitar - when you switch to the "chorus" the first time, I think some sustained distorted guitar underneath the clean chords.

Other than that, this is awesome - I love your tone and your solo. For crap, of course.

·
18,790 Posts
I'd personally bring the drums up a hair, except for the kick, and maybe tighten up the kick slightly. Or, maybe more realistically, bring the kick and guitars down slightly. It's not a bad mix as is, though. It definitely sounds like you're obsessing over the snare, though, as I'd personally love to hear it pop a bit more in the mix (level-wise, processing sounds fine).

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Sounds awesome, Lyle. Only listening on crappy laptop speakers so can't really give much input on the mix. FWIW, I like the snap of the snare, though.

...Just kidding, it's crap.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Great groove and phrasing as always Lyle.......oh wait, I'm sorry....I mean crap.

From a mix standpoint I'd agree with Aaron that the lead is bit too much out front. I also agree with you that the snare could use a little more snap, but it certainly isn't bad.

Since Drew brought it up I'll second his observation on the "chrous". Some sustained distorted chords would really lift it and suit the piece well IMO.

Overall pretty damn fine though Love the solo.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Is that the Cornford? Holy shit, I still love me some tube amps. Watched your "Homegrown" vid on YT as well, and the Cornford through the Orange is just sick, sick tone. Love it! Well, for a polished turd, anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
id tighten the bass drum up a bit - i know its not in any way supposed to be a metal kick sound by any means (as it would sound terrible if it was!!) and it was fine for individual strokes but the bit at the end with the double kick could do with a bit more clarity i think

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the Cornford? Holy shit, I still love me some tube amps. Watched your "Homegrown" vid on YT as well, and the Cornford through the Orange is just sick, sick tone. Love it! Well, for a polished turd, anyway. ;)
Do you really think it's the Cornford?

I'm not gonna tell you if it actually is or not - yet...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Do you really think it's the Cornford?

I'm not gonna tell you if it actually is or not - yet...
Well the video for Homegrown where you're sitting in front of the Cornford I'm going to assume is the Cornford. This one sounds great too, but different, so I'll go ahead and say it's not the Cornford.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
The only thing that would improve it is if it wasn't crap...err....I mean the rhythm section made to sound a bit punchier. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts