Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a solid book on SQL that I can grab?

I've got several projects at work that involve SQL databases, and it literally takes YEARS to get enough priority for our internal networking team to get to it. I'll just do this shit myself. I really don't intend on doing anything terribly fancy, I just want to learn to:

• Install and setup empty database, and
  • Get SQL-ready program to write data to it.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even cleared my cache :yesway:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Install and setup is pretty much product-specific. Tools can be the same, but Oracle SQLDeveloper is, um, free, and can connect to anything there's a jdbc driver for.

As for learning the language, it's hard to argue with this:

SQL In a Nutshell.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks good!

I've also found these...

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Wirelessly posted

As Mike said, it's vendor specific for installing. As for the rest, if you want help, I'm happy to write the statements you need to set up your dbs and tables (it's incredibly easy).

For importing the data, it's probably easiest if you create a spreadsheet and just grab it from that. Just name your columns appropriately.

Also, for a real whistle stop tour, head over to W3schools.com.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I did the w3schools courses and they're actually pretty good. It's a good "get the toes wet" intro.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've always liked the "XXX for Dummies" series.

SQL is pretty intuitive, though - find a few queries that you know what they're doing, and sort of reverse engineer them. I'm not great at it, but that's how I learned.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty good at the query-side, but going from no-db to working-db, that's where I'm lacking!

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
I've always liked the "XXX for Dummies" series.

SQL is pretty intuitive, though - find a few queries that you know what they're doing, and sort of reverse engineer them. I'm not great at it, but that's how I learned.
Not sure we ought to be taking SQL advice from you, Chief Always-breaks-the-site.

Fuckin' Drew.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leon just create a database there's not much to it. Then grant a user access.
:squint:

"Just do a thing you don't understand that I obviously do all day long, you idiot!"

:lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts