Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of these in a 2x12 combo for some old school grindy death metal tone. Cannibal Corpse used these heads in the 90's.

My questions:

The combo is open back, should i still be able to get a good brutal tone even with it open back?

Due to space issues, i will have to place this on top of my peavey 5150 2x12 combo, should that hurt anything?
I'm expecting this to not weigh too much, since its solid state, and my 5150 is heavy and sturdy.

Thanks.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
you'll lose a lot of bass by putting it up there and you can get tons of brutalzzz from an open back, just depends on what you like.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You won't lose bass by raising it that little; you'll just get more treble and mids since the speakers will be pointing closer to your head.

The amount of bass gained through coupling in an application like that is minimal.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You've got a 5150, and you're looking for something more raw? Are you nuts? :lol:

:wub:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I used to have a crate g120c head and a (closed back) 2x 12 cab. It wasnt what i would call brutal. (actually it was pretty ass-tastic) i basically used it as a power amp with my ADA(worked very well for that )

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
How different are the G130CX and the GX130C? I have a G130CXL in my shop that I'm using as a footrest, if they're the same amp, I'll sell it to you, Mr. Oblivion.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I heard they're the same... just one is newer with chorus?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not look into the Randall SS heads. Awesome solid state death metal tone.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not look into the Randall SS heads. Awesome solid state death metal tone.
Well, I like my 5150, and I was just looking at the GX130C combos to mess around with, since you can find them fairly cheap.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'm just looking at combos due to space issues. I've found some on guitar center used. I don't have the room for a half stack, while keeping my 5150 as well. I noticed it looks like most of the GX130C combos come with wheels on the bottom, i would have to remove those in order to get it to sit sturdily on top of my 5150.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Bit late on this, but the GX-130s had the same circuitry as the Ampeg VH140Cs, amps known to be used by Suffocation and I believe early Cannibal Corpse too. It's an acquired taste in tone (I quite like it but its VERY weird), but it will do brutal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts