Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys have any experience with this? My windows machine won't boot. I have a Windows 7 product key, but no disc. I am on a computer running Ubuntu 14.04, I have a Windows 7 ISO and I have a 16 gb thumbdrive. I have tried using Unetbootin (which just gets stuck at 52%), and i've tried extracting it to the drive using the archive manager and neither seem to work. I've been scoring google and everything i've found is saying to use Unetbootin, which does not work for some reason.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Have any of you guys have any experience with this? My windows machine won't boot. I have a Windows 7 product key, but no disc. I am on a computer running Ubuntu 14.04, I have a Windows 7 ISO and I have a 16 gb thumbdrive. I have tried using Unetbootin (which just gets stuck at 52%), and i've tried extracting it to the drive using the archive manager and neither seem to work. I've been scoring google and everything i've found is saying to use Unetbootin, which does not work for some reason.
I would have said Unetbootin; always works for me. :(

Is there a reason you're not just burning a DVD from the ISO?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
So you're basically trying to figure out how to mount a disc image to a drive in Linux? Because once you do that, you can use the BIOS menu to tell the computer to boot from the drive by default.

·
That Guy
65 Posts
Wirelessly posted

If I remember correctly, there's a specific version of unetbootin I had to use to make it work. 494 maybe? This is coming from Arch Linux, however.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it working! I used WinUSB rather than Unetbootin and it worked like a charm. Actually typing this from my Windows machine! :woot: My linux machine doesn't have a CD drive, and I believe the DVD drive on my PC is dead. I need to test the DVD Rom I suppose, it could've been the power supply (that I just replaced). Either way, the PC has been revived! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts