Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The #1 atrocity in my metal lifetime, which I won't diatribe again, will always be Tattooed Millionaire for me. Bruce Dickinson will forever owe childhood me 15 bucks for that shit, and if I ever get a chance to meet him I plan to ask him for it.

I was chatting about that with a buddy today, and forgot about this stinker from the same band, same era:

I saved up to buy that one too. :noway:

What are some other examples of egregious crimes against the legacy of otherwise great artists?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Tattooed Millionaire wouldn't have been quite so bad if Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter appeared on it. It was meant to, but Steve Harris took the only good song for the Iron Maiden album coming out at the same time.

Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are both excellent.

Tyranny of Souls is pretty good, but not on the same level.

Balls to Picasso actually has some awesome tracks, but plenty I also don't like. 1000 Points of Light and Sacred Cowboys are both cool. Although the semi rap rock vocals on the verses of Sacred Cowboys suck. Chorus is awesome.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
As for grand disappointments that I actually got when they came out, I can't think of anything that tops Judas Priest's "Nostradamus", that was so fucking terrible. I got the super deluxe edition on pre-order too.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tattooed Millionaire wouldn't have been quite so bad if Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter appeared on it. It was meant to, but Steve Harris took the only good song for the Iron Maiden album coming out at the same time. .
I wouldn't mind that song if Maiden didn't play it live in place of a zillion other better tunes every time I see them. Dickinson redeemed himself with Chemical Wedding (which is just as good as any maiden album) but I'm forever scarred from tattooed millionaire man.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I present the direction that Hank Shermann wanted to take Mercyful Fate:

The only silver lining to this is that King Diamond and Michael Denner quit in disgust and gave us Abigail.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The #1 atrocity in my metal lifetime, which I won't diatribe again, will always be Tattooed Millionaire for me. Bruce Dickinson will forever owe childhood me 15 bucks for that shit, and if I ever get a chance to meet him I plan to ask him for it.
To be fair, there's at least some evidence that the only reason he was allowed to do this at all was because it didn't sound like Maiden, and he was still a member. No one has any idea how much power Harris has over the individual members, but I know it was a sticking point when Bruce and Adrian came back.

What are some other examples of egregious crimes against the legacy of otherwise great artists?
For the all-time worst followup to an awesome album (and we're talking Exorcist II levels of bad here), I present Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful, otherwise known as "Atlantic tries to turn a prog-metal band into Led Zeppelin because, well, Atlantic":

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the all-time worst followup to an awesome album (and we're talking Exorcist II levels of bad here), I present Crimson Glory'
How about you post bands that people other than you and Crooks have heard of. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
For the all-time worst followup to an awesome album (and we're talking Exorcist II levels of bad here), I present Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful, otherwise known as "Atlantic tries to turn a prog-metal band into Led Zeppelin because, well, Atlantic":
I like the title track of Strange and Beautiful, even if it does lean heavily on Kashmir. Not crazy about anything else, but the title track is cool.

I don't really think that counts as a crime like Cold Lake, because even if it is a "cashing in on commercial trends" release, CG was never really an ultra macho band to begin with.

The ST and Transcendence are great albums, but you can't deny both are extremely heavy on ballads.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
How about you post bands that people other than you and Crooks have heard of. :lol:
If you haven't heard of Crimson Glory you are missing out, the first two albums are really sick.

The album Mike is referring to isn't exactly a "the label forced them to wear ridiculous girly clothes" album. It sucks, but they did wear ridiculous girly clothes of their own free will from the start.

It's not a good album. But it's not like a "ah, this ultra macho band got forced to write mainly ballads by the record label, what sell outs" type album. Because the first two albums are already insanely ballad heavy.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, Strange and Beautiful isn't more of a sellout album than Fight For the Rock. It's not as bad as Streets either.

Streets is fucking atrocious, I'm actually surprised no one mentioned it yet.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
This thread gives me flashbacks of things my mind forced me to forget.

:facepalm: :nonono:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I mean, LULU might be the winner but...

Or, the build up of knowing new Motley Crue is coming and you get this-

Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 25 Posts