Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yamaha definitely get overlooked a lot, because often people's only experience with them are the horrible starter guitars that the market is flooded with. Even the good Yamaha dealers often don't carry much of their better stuff. Their bad stuff is pretty bad, but their good stuff is excellent.

Godin stuff is really well made, but man, i wish they'd get some more progressive-looking designs, or at least tweak the proportions on the couple they've got that are close. Most of their stuff just looks really "meh" but usually plays and sounds great.

I think Peavey makes some good stuff as well, but similar to Yamaha in that their bad stuff is less than stellar, but their higher-end stuff is great, though some of it suffers from Godin-esque awkwardness in the design.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I once played a thinline single-cutaway semi-hollow Washburn and it was nothing short of incredible. It had a Bigsby and BFTS and sounded full and warm and twangy.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'll also toss Alvarez and Seagull out there - almost without fail their acoustics play and sound like they should cost MUCH more than they do.
I wouldn't call that underrated. Seagull guitars are consistently very highly rated. They're just underpriced. ;)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Some pics, these are at least 6 years old, ignore the mess :lol:

I LOVE these old RGXes... they had some really innovative ideas... the angle jack (way before Ibanez did them), the split bolt-on plates (way before AANJ) and a height-adjustable locking nut.

If memory serves, these were 24 3/4" scale too, weren't they Adam?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.