Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fucking sucks.

Did you hear that, Google? The DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7 / Liquifire 7 combo in Basswood SUCKS. SU-U-UCKS. Do you hear that, EBMM? Don't ship basswood guitars with these. Seriously. They are bad.

This is a public service announcement from your friends at MG. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
What was that again? Are you saying that the DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7/Liquifire 7 suck in basswood guitars? Are you not fond of the tonal response of DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7/Liquifire 7 in the basswood bodied Music Man John Petrucci guitars?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am saying that The Dimarzio Crunch Lab Pickup, and the Dimarzio Liquifire Pickup, in the Seven String Guitar variety, fucking suck titanic balls in Basswood Electric Guitars.

Seriously. They're awful. I like them in the 6. They're just plain bad in the 7. Bad, as in un-good. As in the opposite of something you want to listen to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Buckethead unmasked, the first thing he'd say before eating some Humboldt squid with Ice T and Coco is "Man, The Dimarzio Liquifire Seven String pickup sucks. And so does the Dimarzio Crunch Lab seven string pickup." Then, he'd get into his 2007 Camaro and drive away.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
For the life of me, i can't figure out why DiMarzio puts ceramic magnets in EVERYTHING 7-string. Don't get me wrong, i do like ceramic magnets in the right application (e.g. Duncan Custom) but would never want one in the neck position.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The low B in my JB7 is about as articulate as Noodles' ass after an evening of mexican food and Budweiser.

I can NOT wait until my BKPs show up for this thing. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
For the life of me, i can't figure out why DiMarzio puts ceramic magnets in EVERYTHING 7-string. Don't get me wrong, i do like ceramic magnets in the right application (e.g. Duncan Custom) but would never want one in the neck position.
Yeah I just found that out myself. The Liquifire 6 neck is an A5, the 7 neck is a ceramic. :nuts:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the 6, I am actually most likely going to keep the combo in there. The 7 is crap.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
had that combo in my Rico when I first got it.
Was not a fan, the liquifire was tolerable, the Crunchlab was on it's way out the first day I heard it.
Much happier with the Holydiver set I have in there now.
This could also be a big part of the reason I was so underwhelmed by the JP-7 I played at the Boston GC.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, the LF is a tad better than the CL, but that's like saying that stepping in old dog shit is better than stepping in fresh poo.

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
Um, because it's cheaper to order bulk of just one type of magnet for the niche 7 string market. Plus those 7 string dudes just chug on the B string anyways, they gots no clue about real tone :roll2:

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's interesting. I love that combo in my S7420. They sounded amazing through my Triaxis-2:90 rig. But then again my S7420 is mahogany.:shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I just have the most duddiest of the duds that ever were wound, but they are seriously terrible in my JP.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It might just be a difference in taste. I also loved the D-Sonic in my 7620. So we might be going after different tones.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Also, look at the context in which Petrucci plays... with Rudess and Myung, there are a LOT of frequencies mashing together, so my guess is that JP evolved his pickups over time to be more focused to cut through the clutter. On their own, they do probably sound a little thin.

The original JP pickups were pretty good in basswood.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Also, look at the context in which Petrucci plays... with Rudess and Myung, there are a LOT of frequencies mashing together, so my guess is that JP evolved his pickups over time to be more focused to cut through the clutter. On their own, they do probably sound a little thin.

The original JP pickups were pretty good in basswood.
I think this is EXACTLY it. They have a very lean midbass and something super spiky in the core midrange, like 800Hz or something is the effective sound. Throw that into a Mark IV and no wonder he sucks out almost everything at 750Hz on his 5-band graphic. Keyboards be damned!

What were the original custom JP pups? Were they variations on a Steves Special or Tone Zone?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The original JP pickups were a modified Steve's Special in the bridge and a modified Air Norton in the neck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts