Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've seen similar threads to this before, I'm sure you guys probably have too, so I apologize if this sounds familiar. Anyway, in your experience, how does the DM Crunch Lab/ Liquifire combo sound in a Les Paul-style guitar?

I've heard from a couple of sources that they sound too compressed; I'd really appreciate the feedback if you've tried this yourself.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
The liquifire is a watered down Air Norton. If you're going for a DiMarzio neck pickup, just get the Air Norton, it's awesome. The Crunchlab, you'll like it the first time you hear it, then it will get stale quickly. It's just too flat of a pickup and lacks any real soul. I'd much more recommend an Evo or a Super Distortion for the bridge than a Crunchlab. The Evo screams but may be too much for some, the Super Distortion is nicely balanced and thick sounding.

Crunchlab and Liquifire are just not as good as these other pickups IMO.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
If someone kicked me in the nuts, and spit on my face, I still wouldn't hate them enough to recommend a CL/LF.
I'd agree almost exactly with what Vince said, but I'd say ToneZone/Air Norton , or Steve's special/air norton.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I quite like the combo in my JP7, however for a Lester I'd be looking at something else.

Maybe try the newer Illuminators as an alternative to what the other guys have suggested?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
i had a LF/X2N combo in an old 7620, needless to say at least the crunch lab was an improvement over the x2n, i dont mind the tone you can get from it but there are lots of better pickups out there.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I had my Norton (b) / HumbFromHell (n) set in my Epi LP for a while. It was OK. The stock pickups were about on par with them ('57+ Gibby set).

Currently I've got two P-Rails in there, and it's magic (but, I LOVE P-Rails).

I've got some duncans in another mahogany guitar... 59/Custom Hybrid (b) / SSL-5 (m, RWRP) / Phat Cat Bridge (n). It absolutely smokes. If I get another LP, I'll likely get another Hybrid and Phat Cat...

...Or....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice! Think I'll try a Super Distortion instead, having tried out a JP6 with the Crunch Lab it gets pretty stale quick.

I had my Norton (b) / HumbFromHell (n) set in my Epi LP for a while. It was OK. The stock pickups were about on par with them ('57+ Gibby set).

Currently I've got two P-Rails in there, and it's magic (but, I LOVE P-Rails).

I've got some duncans in another mahogany guitar... 59/Custom Hybrid (b) / SSL-5 (m, RWRP) / Phat Cat Bridge (n). It absolutely smokes. If I get another LP, I'll likely get another Hybrid and Phat Cat...

...Or....
Yeah, been considering Duncans as it happens. Gonna have to try the P-Rails too at some point, heard a lot of good things. Cheers!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

:noplease:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Dimarzios in a Les Paul is a fucking horrible idea period.

The only acceptable one would be a Super Distortion, which is Di Meola/Ace Frehly/70s in general/etc. etc. etc. anything else is sacrilege. Even then, a Duncan Distortion is a far, far better choice.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i had a LF/X2N combo in an old 7620, needless to say at least the crunch lab was an improvement over the x2n, i dont mind the tone you can get from it but there are lots of better pickups out there.
I absolutely hated the X2N I had, could not get it out fast enough! This was after my Duncan Invader finally went tits up. Settled on a Metal Live Wire in that guitar & haven't looked back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't tried them in a LP, but from my experience I'd try something else.
Crunch Lab / Liquifire in alder works perfectly for me, so I tried a Crunch Lab 7 for a mahogany/maple top Ibanez RG (still brighter than a Les Paul but darker than most Ibanezes). I found the tone quite flat in the heavier wood, it just didn't have the same magic qualities. Ended up swapping the CL into a basswood Ibanez 7 where it sounds pretty good.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Nothing sounds like a Les Paul.

Except a Les Paul with Crunchlab and Liquifire pickups in it.

That wouldn't sound like a Les Paul at all.

In fact, get any other pickup you want, including EMGs.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Those two pickups are specifically make your tone blow as hard as Petrucci's live tone for the last decade.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts