Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Custom guitar. Halp!

4K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
Ok, so I decided a little while ago that I want to reward myself with a custom guitar when I graduate with my PhD in about 2 years.

The issue is, I can't really nail down all of the specs, mostly due to my inexperience. Every guitar I have owned has either been basswood or mahogany. I will say that I vastly prefer mahogany though.

So far, I am pretty sure about the following specs.

7 string
26" scale (or close to it)
H-H direct mount with 5 way switch
Ebony fretboard with side markers only
RG style body with additional carves to the horns
Either quilted or flamed maple top, thinking purple for the color :fr00t:
Thin (ibanez like) neck with flat radius
Reversed headstock :metal:
Jumbo SS fret wire
Custom control layout (sometimes ibby controls impede my picking motion, and I have to take the volume knob off to get a little more room)
Preferably an EDGE pro7 trem, but could do OFR7 too (sometimes the fine tuners impede my picking motion as well)
Neck through construction

I still cannot figure out what to get for the body woods. I think I am going to try to play a bunch of guitars, but it is hard to find shred guitars that are ash or walnut and such. Any suggestions?

Also, for luthiers, here are my top choices:

1) Mike Sherman
2) Bernie Rico
3) KxK
4) Roter :)rofl:)

Does anybody have any suggestions for this guitar? I am thinking my budget is probably going to be around $4k, and I realize that I will probably have to start this build 8 months to a year in front of my graduation date, with half of the money down.

I would really like your feedback on experiences with these builders (Roter was a joke), and also what production guitars I should play to get a better feel of how the wood combo will affect the tone and feel of the guitar.

Rep to those with good input! :p

See less See more
#33 ·
Sorry to thread jack.

Oh my! :cybersex:

umm. Wow. If that could be turned into a lefty 7 perhaps with a bubinga top... I'd just be forced to figure out a way to avoid paying CA sales tax (I already give those greedy bastards enough).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find A SINGLE SUHR in Colorado. Sad days:(
My plain, cheap-ass Suhr has the nicest fret work I've ever played on. It has set the bar for me; though I have a couple of (hopefully nice) guitars still pending delivery that may reset the bar.

#4 ·
Blackmachine? :lol:

Try out a couple of Suhr's if you get the chance, you can hear just what an alder or ash body with maple can do - epitome of those sort of guitars. You haven't mentioned neck joints; I would urge you to get a bolt on. Sounds better than anything else IMO, and if you EVER get any problems later down the line they are so much easier to work on. (Even replace, I dread to say, if the tragic day ever comes).

Personally, particularly with something as dense as maple for the top, I really rate lighter woods. Something that gives the bass a chance to sort of build up momentum, if that makes sense, inside the guitar body. Mahogany and high-quality alder are two of my favourite body woods, because they make the bass so fucking huge, while retaining tightness. Maple on the top would make your midrange and highs punchy and tight too; the thing'd be a tone monster.

:.2c:

#5 ·
ESP has a couple of ash-bodied shredders to try. Mahogany/maple is my favorite combo, but I like a balanced, classic "roar."

Ash looks fantastic and sounds pretty good too; the swamp ash is lightweight and resonant and a little scooped, while the hard ash is bright and heavy as hell.

I want to spend some time with an all-maple guitar to see if I'd like it.

Reactions: Seanbabs
#7 ·
Stitch I can't rep you any more:( E-cookie?

That is some great info, exactly what I wanted to hear. I was thinking Mahogany wings or body maple neck with mahogany stipes, maple top. I love bolt ons so I will probably go that way, I just want really good fret access as well.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find A SINGLE SUHR in Colorado. Sad days:(

#8 ·
Well, I don't agree with Stitch, since I prefer neckthru. I'll never run into a problem with the neck, either, since Rob makes them out of three parallel pieces of maple with opposing grain patterns, and then puts two carbon fiber beams in next to the truss rod. I could probably use the guitar as a baseball bat with no problems.

Limba is very similar to mahogany as a tonewood. Maybe a touch brighter. Play a korina Gibson V, and you'll know. The ebony will significantly brighten it up, too. However, I was just throwing it out there because you mentioned it. Maple neck with mahogany wings is what all three of my sevens are.

Reactions: Seanbabs
#10 ·
Yeah, this is what i have been considering. Maple neck, mahogany wings, figured maple top, ebony fretboard.

I want the guitar to cut, so the maple and ebony should do that, but I want it to roar in the low end, and mahogany should help that.

At least that is what I understand. Is that correct?

#12 ·
Next question is, when should I solicit these builders for a quote? I am sure a bunch of 15 year old SS.argh fiends pump quotes out to these builders like mad, so I want to make sure that I give them a legitimate reason to spend their time pricing this out.

#15 ·
I totally agree with you Stitch. My 2027 is TWICE as loud and bell-like than my 1527 is unplugged.

I would love a blackmachine B7 with ebony top, but the wait list is ridiculous, and I think US builders would be better so I don't have to worry about imports.

Also, I think I should save up some more money before I talk to Sherman. The dude is busy, and demands respect. If I ask for a quote with a few hundo in the bank, it just aint gonna do it. If I ask for a quote and have a thou or 2 in the bank, we'd be talking with the real chance of business.

Dave, how does Rob feel about quotes?

Anybody have BRJ experience?

#17 ·
I totally agree with you Stitch. My 2027 is TWICE as loud and bell-like than my 1527 is unplugged.

I would love a blackmachine B7 with ebony top, but the wait list is ridiculous, and I think US builders would be better so I don't have to worry about imports.
Yeah, it was a semi joke. You've got Sherman, and he'll build you something amazing. The cost and wait of a BM is prohibitive for national buyers, IMO. Nevertheless, still amazing guitars.

#27 ·
I really like Oni's fanned fret designs, but I don't think I would get along with FF. His straight scale guitars don't really do it for me.

I like it simple. Black guitar, handle, and Bla...........

Holy fuck. That was weird. I think I just got possessed for a little. :ugh:

#28 ·
^ :rofl:

I'm just going to throw this out there, with the caveat that I am very excited about their products but do my best not to be a fanboi - consider Strictly 7.

To date, he can not craft you a $4000 guitar with decades of amazing experience and the work-of-art hand-crafted build quality that a guy like Sherman can. That's not Jim's game; he tries to bring real custom shop options down to the "prosumer" level. I'd LOVE to own a Sherman, but am not at a place in my life where I can lay down thousands on a single guitar.

If you want a guitar that's in the same league as top-end USA guitars with full custom options (he'll almost assuredly put an Edge in your guitar) while coming in $1500-2000 under your budget, consider talking to Jim. It's where my money will be going next. His build times are also only a few months at this point.

S7 has been my only custom builder experience, so they're all that I can genuinely recommend.

I would also remind you to consider Daemoness - I don't think that guy's lead times are terrible, and he makes some killer looking guitars according to the build threads Nolly has posted.

#29 ·
I have not played any KxKs or S7s.

However, I have noodled on a dozen Shermans. Basses, guitars, etc. Every single one has been fantastically balanced, incredibly comfortable, and shockingly loud and resonant unplugged. They're also gorgeous. Good wood, tight tolerances, excellent finishing. Guy knows his shit.

If I had $4k to spend on a custom, that's where it would go.

#32 ·
Call him. :wub: Make an offer he can't refuse. I dunno. I've browbeat him into doing fanned frets and stuff, and he's always expanding his arsenal of tools and options. He knows how it works, he just doesn't currently have the equipment to do it the way he wants to. I agree with you, for what it's worth. :yesway:

#34 ·
Elq, drop me a PM, we can talk. The blank looks like it is righty, but I bet the other side looks as good as the side in the pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.