Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can safely say there is NO other band I've ever heard that incorporates so many different little things into their music, and does it this well. From Wikipedia :

The origin of the name of the band is related on their website. The back-story recounts a historically questionable ancestral story beginning in 16th century Sweden. Supposedly, ancestors of the band members performed orchestral works in defiance of the ruling church at the time (possibly in reference to the newly installed protestant Lutheran national church, in power during the mid and late 16th century). The orchestra was forced to go into hiding, performing in secret, with the assistance of oppressed peasants during the era. After years of performing for the pleasure of these peasants, the story claims that the church put a bounty on the performers' lives, and that this bounty was so high that the orchestra knew they would soon be captured, and thus chose to play a spectacular final show before becoming martyred to the church.
Not necessarily true or anything, but it sounds cool at least :lol:

Their last album was more of a traditional ballroom style + metal and was titled "The Butcher's Ballroom" but their new one, "Sing Along Songs for The Damned and Delirious" is just all over the place and has some very crazy bits of gypsy jazz, ballroom, Spanish-style trumpet and more.

Off of "Butcher's Ballroom"

Off of "Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious"

Edit : for some reason, it doesn't wanna post the videos here it only links them back to Youtube :(

Disregard that edit, it worked!

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Musically, these guys a great. The operatic female vocals ruin it for me though.
They do it very sparingly on Sing Alongs... which for me, is putting it ahead of Butcher's Ballroom. I like to be understand what they. The new album has the male vocalist doing 99% of the vocal work and the female is there for more ...atmosphere

·
Read Only
3 Posts
They do it very sparingly on Sing Alongs... which for me, is putting it ahead of Butcher's Ballroom. I like to be understand what they. The new album has the male vocalist doing 99% of the vocal work and the female is there for more ...atmosphere
When I saw them live, they were incredibly entertaining, but the female vocalist did sing a lot. Maybe I'll pick up Sing Along and give it a shot.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
I picked up Butcher's Ballroom either last year or a couple years ago... Don't recall. Loved it to death save for some irritating tracks. I haven't heard Sing Along yet save for one track they posted on Myspace shortly before the album was released. Wasn't too impressed with that single but I might have to give the rest of it a listen.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I think, though, that Tap Dancer's Dilemma is the high point of that album. Vodka Inferno is a good song too, but I think there was so much more potential than ended up on the finished product.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think, though, that Tap Dancer's Dilemma is the high point of that album. Vodka Inferno is a good song too, but I think there was so much more potential than ended up on the finished product.
I don't know, I've listened to it a few times and every song to me seems to jump out and I don't have the urge to hit the next button like I do with Butcher's Ballroom for those few annoying songs they have like D'Angelo or Gunpowder Chant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.