Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a pair of DA7s in my guitar and the neck sounds pretty good. The bridge however doesn't sound thick or beefy and has this weird almost single coil like attack. Is that how the pickup is supposed to sound>?

My wiring is extremely simple - 1 V and 3way toggle switch. That means the red wires from each pup go to the 3 way, the green+grnd go to ground and the white+black are taped off.

Any ideas? It's very bright and single coily like..

·
Read Only
10 Posts
No idea on the wiring, but my DA's (in my Sherman, and the ones that were in my 1527) definitely don't sound like that. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea on the wiring, but my DA's (in my Sherman, and the ones that were in my 1527) definitely don't sound like that. :scratch:
That's what I've been thinking... Since a lot of DA7 guys say the bridge is awesome and extremely tight. Not sure as I've checked the wiring and it's like 1 wire that gets soldered to the switch and then the rest are grounded or taped off.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
That's what I've been thinking... Since a lot of DA7 guys say the bridge is awesome and extremely tight. Not sure as I've checked the wiring and it's like 1 wire that gets soldered to the switch and then the rest are grounded or taped off.
Yeah, awesome and extremely tight is pretty much the way mine sound! It is 4 conductor wiring, so don't you need to wire 2 wires to the switch for both coils?

Not sure about that, but I seem to remember doing something like that.

EDIT:
Go to 2:40 for DA7 bridge into ENGL.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that only one of the coils is being used. Make sure the extra leads are soldered or not soldered to what they need to be.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I'll be rechecking that for the bridge's black and white lead wires. :yesway:
Thinking about it longer, I think you need to solder the two leads coming from the coils together at the switch, and then the other two are grounds.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
too lazy to check if you have done this, but I checked my wiring diagram for dimarzio (my douglas had the same type of switch:

black and white are twisted together (or soldered) and then taped off
red goes to hot on the switch
green and bare are to ground (my switch had a ground you could use on the switch, or use a pot)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
too lazy to check if you have done this, but I checked my wiring diagram for dimarzio (my douglas had the same type of switch:

black and white are twisted together (or soldered) and then taped off
red goes to hot on the switch
green and bare are to ground (my switch had a ground you could use on the switch, or use a pot)
Yup - that's how I have done the wiring. After a lot of reading it seems these pups need a shit-fucking-ton of gain otherwise they sound very single coil like. I read a thread where Drew expressed this same sentiment and suddenly it makes sense.

The wiring was correct all a long it's just the pups need Chris' level of gain to not sound single coil like.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
You know what? I have the same freaking problem with the one in the bridge of my RGR465m. Very single-coil like attack and sound. Indeed, it seems to go away with high gain... Will need further testing and I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Hmmm...Guess I need to try that as well. I'm about ready to dump the D-activator in this new 7 I just picked up...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know what? I have the same freaking problem with the one in the bridge of my RGR465m. Very single-coil like attack and sound. Indeed, it seems to go away with high gain... Will need further testing and I'll report back.
Let me know how that goes. It's a very unique thing that I've never experienced before.
Hmmm...Guess I need to try that as well. I'm about ready to dump the D-activator in this new 7 I just picked up...
Keep me posted.

:yesway:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might try a 250k volume pot to warm it up some. However I can't seem to find any 250k pots with a 5/16 mounting hole diameter.:lol:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drew said:
The DActivators and EMGs are both very bright and crisp, with a very strong, narrow treble and comparatively tight/small mids and bass. Through a moderately driven amp, it sounds like absolute shit for riffing because it's all click-y attack and has no body. Through a sea of gain, it rules because the gain begins to fill out the rest of the sound and smooths out the sharp attack a bit.
Holy smokes - found this in a thread from last year and it's exactly what I'm having. Looks like I'm going to try swapping the bridge dactivator with dimarzio.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
So... Tried it again trough my rig yesterday and yeah, it does sound great trough lots of gain. Where it shines, IMO, is when playing rhythm, especially power chords. It delivers tight attack and cutting trough tone... Really sounds "full" when playing full chords, with a boost in front of the amp (wich I always use). I wouldn't say it's as full as a "regular" humbucker but it really does have a bite of its own.

And trough clean or less-gain tones, it really has more of a single-coil-on-steroid-type-pickup sound. One thing is fo sure though, it is fucking NOISY. I hate that. :mad:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So... Tried it again trough my rig yesterday and yeah, it does sound great trough lots of gain. Where it shines, IMO, is when playing rhythm, especially power chords. It delivers tight attack and cutting trough tone... Really sounds "full" when playing full chords, with a boost in front of the amp (wich I always use). I wouldn't say it's as full as a "regular" humbucker but it really does have a bite of its own.

And trough clean or less-gain tones, it really has more of a single-coil-on-steroid-type-pickup sound. One thing is fo sure though, it is fucking NOISY. I hate that. :mad:
Thanks for confirming JF. I'm going to be exchanging my pair with Dimarzio for something more tried and tested with the BN/Evo7.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts