Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got about $800 as payment for some translations I was doing on the side and I was in this guitar shop and there was a Damien Elite 8-string that had some scratches on the back, so it was about $200-250 off. So... I bought it. Heh.

Some pictures and a video:

Aaaaaaand, since I've never owned an 8-string before about 3-4 hours ago, I decided to just throw together some random song as a test. It's got distortion, clean, rhythm, lead guitar, using bridge pickup, neck pickup, and the middle position.

Here it is:

I just uploaded it, so the sound quality isn't that great.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, please don't pay attention to the notes I'm playing there. It's 100% improvised on the spot and to be honest, I rarely play in the key of F#. :ugh:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Very cool man! Thinking about using them in your band for a few songs? Because of the 26.5 scale it would be pretty easy to throw a high a on that puppy.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool man! Thinking about using them in your band for a few songs? Because of the 26.5 scale it would be pretty easy to throw a high a on that puppy.
I don't know about "easy," considering the highest gauge I can generally find in stores around here is a 7. I might be able to special order a 6.

The other guitarist in my band just bought an 8-string about two weeks ago. So using them in my band is definitely a possibility.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I don't know about "easy," considering the highest gauge I can generally find in stores around here is a 7. I might be able to special order a 6.

The other guitarist in my band just bought an 8-string about two weeks ago. So using them in my band is definitely a possibility.
:yesway: well I guess it's easier than putting the high a on a 28" or 30" scale. I was thinking of going A to g if and when I get an 8. F# or E seems too low for what I want to do with it.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:yesway: well I guess it's easier than putting the high a on a 28" or 30" scale. I was thinking of going A to g if and when I get an 8. F# or E seems too low for what I want to do with it.
A to G is something I've considered too. B to A just seems kind of unrealistic. I have a friend who goes D to G (7 string: DGCFADG) and he said he's tried a high A several times, but no matter what he uses, the string breaks. He said that a high G is doable, but he has to be careful when playing it because it's still relatively easy to break. He uses either a 6 or 7 gauge for his high G.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I know you're supposed to stretch the strings or something along those lines. There was a review around these bits a while ago. It just seems pretty cool to do. I like the idea of that sort of range. I know Fripp tunes his guitars C-G-D-A-E-G and I think he uses 9's for that high g.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no idea how he does it. A long time ago I tried to tuning a six-string up to open G (where the high E was a G) and the string broke...

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
or 24.75"... That should work. If his lowest string is only a C, a 24.75" scale should work fine.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
My brother in law picked up one of those. REALLY sweet axe for the price.

I'm an EMG fan, but the low strings sounded a little muddy with the 808's. We swapped in an Aftermath -> Warpig set and the low strings are a lot more defined.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought the lower strings sounded really muddy when I played them on the Triple Rectifier at the guitar shop, but when I tried them on my Axe-FX at home, I thought they sounded pretty defined (the sound on the YouTube video hasn't improved, but I think it still sounds pretty good).

·
Mr Dorian Delight
11 Posts
looks amazing! I think the damien elite has a short enough scale length to be able to put a high G on there, you should be fine!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts