Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'm noticing more and more now is that the main thing causing damage to my guitars is their cases. I always seem to catch the neck or end of the body on the metal edges. For example, I've had to put electrical tape on the headstock of my Jackson Rhoads because I keep dinging the tip. Another thing is for some reason I always catch the treble side of the neck on my RGD on the same part of the case too, which has left dents and very annoying marks in the lacquer. That's getting me especially pissed because I've always been so careful with that RGD, being one of the few guitars I've ever bought new and kept in beautiful condition until now. Not that I want to sell it, I just get very annoyed by causing any damage to my instruments.
Can anyone relate/does anyone have any solutions?

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
I haven't had this problem with any of my cases, but is it because you put your guitar in your case too quickly and just scrape the sides?

Either way, you can see if the areas that are more at risk of scraping your finish could be taped with some thin surgical tape or some sort of painter's masking tape.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Never had trouble with cases. Metal music stands, on the other hand... :lol:

Reactions: Cycletech

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
What I'm noticing more and more now is that the main thing causing damage to my guitars is their cases. I always seem to catch the neck or end of the body on the metal edges. For example, I've had to put electrical tape on the headstock of my Jackson Rhoads because I keep dinging the tip. Another thing is for some reason I always catch the treble side of the neck on my RGD on the same part of the case too, which has left dents and very annoying marks in the lacquer. That's getting me especially pissed because I've always been so careful with that RGD, being one of the few guitars I've ever bought new and kept in beautiful condition until now. Not that I want to sell it, I just get very annoyed by causing any damage to my instruments.
Can anyone relate/does anyone have any solutions?
I hate it when I ding the tip.

:drumpf:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I haven't done that, but I did have a case fall on a pedal and mostly obliterate it. That was an interesting day.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Not had an issue with cases - yet. Concrete floors, now there's another story.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Never had trouble with cases. Metal music stands, on the other hand... :lol:
+1 for music stands. My least favorite piece of kit. Impossible to carry in one trip with everything else, always in the way always about to fall over.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Erm, be less of a clumsy twat when you put the guitar into it's case? Honestly, I've never had this problem, but I'm careful whenever I put my guitars away. It sounds to me like you're rushing and not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erm, be less of a clumsy twat when you put the guitar into it's case? Honestly, I've never had this problem, but I'm careful whenever I put my guitars away. It sounds to me like you're rushing and not paying attention.
I try, I guess it's just that I've always been clumsy so there's not a lot that I can do about it. Sometimes it's not even been my fault. Once I was lifting the RGD out of the case and the case randomly closed, dinging right against the fretboard.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Can't even remotely relate. That's the exact opposite of what hard cases are supposed to do. I've owned guitars with hard cases for about 17 years now, and I can't say a hard case has ever caused any damage to a guitar. All of my guitars have some degree of damage, my RG1527 having the absolute most damage of any guitar I've ever owned (and I bought it new in mint condition), but all of that damage has come from stuff like dropping it or accidentally knocking it into a mic stand or a studio wall or accidentally scraping it with something. Can't say a hard case has done anything more than baby my guitars and protect them from damage.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Guitar cases, to me, are for transporting guitars. I just have mine on guitar racks so i can just pick them up and play... I've dinged, dropped, whacked and thrown guitars about, but never dinged a guitar on a case though...

Just get some guitar stands?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A serious and uncommon issue, cases are meant to save guitars instead of creating a headache. Which guitars & cases have you used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had faced this kind of issue, back in the early days. Lack of experiences or had I done wrong being too cautious! Since guitars are fragile, although, in a hard shell, dings may hurt and leave marks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts