Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took that new Artist 7 string to the tech to get set up and have the pickups installed etc a few days ago. He called me yesterday and apparently, Ibanez uses smaller than standard pickups and rings on some of their 7 strings? I figured Dimarzios/Duncans drop in to pretty much everything, but nope.

He's gonna rout the cavities to make room for hte bigger pickups, but I've been searching for 7 string pickup rings all morning. Found some on ebay from a place in Pennyslvania, so hopefully they get here tomorrow and I can still have the guitar ready for my show on Saturday.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked there, but it says he's not taking any custom orders this month. Plus I don't think I need custom size ones, just not fun-size :rofl:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
^ :lol: I guess finding some on ebay is the best way to go then. I hope those work for you man. And that is pretty fucked up that Ibanez would install smaller pickups then the normal aftermart sizes :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->)

Guitar Parts Depot used to have them, but they're out of business. :(

Duncan includes rings with all their humbuckers… in fact, I may have some extras kicking around. PM me your address and I'll mail a pair to ya. :)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Gpd went out of business ?!?!

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->)

Guitar Parts Depot used to have them, but they're out of business. :(

Duncan includes rings with all their humbuckers… in fact, I may have some extras kicking around. PM me your address and I'll mail a pair to ya. :)
Haha not only do the Dimarzios not come with pickup rings, but when I called them and explained what I needed, all the woman on the phone could tell me was "Yeah I don't make those. Try allparts." I called allparts and they said they've been out of stock for months. I found a store in Pennsylvania selling em on ebay though, so they should be here tomorrow or monday. Thanks though, I appreciate the offer.

It's weird too, I measured the pickup rings on my Schecter (which also has Dimarzios), and they're 88m across between the center screw-holes, which appears to be the standard size. However, if you grab the Dimarzio specs off their website, it says the screw holes on the Air Norton and D Activator 7 are 89.662mm apart. :nuts:

Whatever, as long as I can get the damn pickups in :rofl:

Edit: Oh, and since I know you're all a bunch of corksniffers here, I found this while looking around the net: http://www.pickuprings.com/pickup_rings :eek:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
:( GPD went out of business! ahhhh I lived 5 min from there and never went in. the time I went they were closed lol.

But that's pretty lame OP..

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bit of thread necromancy, but she's finally all done. Got her back from the tech a few weeks ago and finally got around to putting on the finishing touches.

I got some cream bobbin toppers and was going to do one of the coils on the bridge pickups so they'd match, but I wasn't happy with the way they looked. More of a pale/yellowish color than the cream on the neck pickup. Oh well, asymmetry can be classy too!

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
You know, I'm almost never a fan of zebra bobbins, but they looks rather tasty in your guitar!

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
That does look nice. I've never seen an Artcore I've liked before, but this one is nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i always like the funky pup look. it makes stuff appear really aftermarket and custom. i had a sweet prestige rgr like that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts