Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I had my first band practice with the JP7 and the RG1077XL. This is the first time I've had either of them loud and actually kind of "rocked out" on them. For the last few months I've been basically an arm chair guitarist.
And I hate to say it but... I just was not feeling the JP7 at all. :scratch:
I think I just may prefer the extra length and string tension on the Ibanez. I've had all scale lengths from 24.75 to 28.5. The instant I picked up the 1077 for the first time in the store a few months back, it just felt right.
It kind of sucks because I loved the crap out of my old JP7s and the latest has been awesome while I've been noodling around on it at home.

I guess all I can say is... :scream:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a side note, other than full on custom(KXK, Sherman etc.), what are my choices for a 27" scale 7 string besides Agile?

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
You can always get a used 7421XL or another X077XL. What about Schecter? Have you tried a 26.5" scale before?

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can always get a used 7421XL or another X077XL. What about Schecter? Have you tried a 26.5" scale before?
Getting another Ibanez XL is on my mind for sure. :yesway:
Schecters I don't like for the same reason I dislike Agiles. The necks are just too thick. And, I just don't really like Schecters. :D I have pondered(within the last hour :lol:) getting the Ibanez 8. :shrug:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
The 2228 would probably be a pretty good choice. It's got that 27" scale, and I've only heard great things about how well it's made. Obviously, there are the regular EMG issues, but if you happen to like EMGs, then it's all gravy. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually don't mind EMGs. I don't love them. But, I don't hate them.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the Ibby 8. But maybe I'll search for another 10/2077XL first.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
This is the first 27" scale production 7 that comes to mind:

Fernandes made a Revolver Baritone 7 as well. But i think they're even more scarce than the 1077XL/2077XL.

The other option would be to get a conversion neck (or two) made for a bolt-on Ibanez you like. Or maybe see if you can find a builder to make you a conversion neck for your JP7.

:idea:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Forgot about that one. :yesway:
I've only played the 25.5 scale version and the neck was too Schecter-like. Is the 27" still pretty thick?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think so. I've only ever played one (briefly) and i found the neck to be a little chunky. And i like bigger necks. I payed eleven59's Hellraiser, though, and thought the neck was awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bummer. If I think a Schecter neck is chunky them I'm sure I would not dig it. I like my necks to be border line stupidly thin.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about that too but can it be made to come out to 27" for the scale and still have 24 frets?
I was trying to figure out the math for that earlier but smoke and blood started pouring out of my ears. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
From playing the LTD Carpenter's, the neck felt thinner than Schecters to me, more like a very slightly thicker Ibanez profile.

What's the street price on the Ibby 8 vs a KXK though? My 27" KXK is very, very nice, nicer than the Death Warrior in fact.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can probably get an Ibby 8 new for about $1300-1350(through my connection).
The only thing that really keeps me from getting a KXK or the like, is the wait. And, to be honest, the headstocks kind of turn me off.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Have you played a Loomis? They have a skinnier profile than the standard HRs and BlackJacks.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Don, if you go Ibby 8, you are welcome to mine for much less than that.

Seperately, I know waiting is no fun, but Mike is extremely fast, and the pricepoint is easily within grasp. The quality, however, will not believed by most normal humans. I was an Ibanez bolt-on guy until I tasted ESP, Jackson, and KXK customshops. Once I tried out Shermans set necks, its was all over - I could never go back.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts