Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I mentioned that I watch Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" all the time. I was watching earlier today and came down with an ungodly craving for seafood. I wanted scallops, but the store didn't have any. So, I settled on these:

Saw an awesome recipe on the show, so I decided to try it. Calamari in creamy white wine sauce over linguine. All I needed was olive oil, garlic, shallots, squid, white wine, cream, paprika and basil.

But first, I had to clean the squid.

You just pull their heads right off, which is super easy. Seriously, how do these things survive in the wild? They're extremely fragile.:ugh:

Then, you have to use the back of a knife to squish out their guts, peel off their skin, cut off their tentacles and remove the beak.

Kinda looks like chicken. With tentacles.:hsquid:

And here's a pile of guts. Brutal.

Here's the end product. Homemade pasta sauce.

I also made some shrimp in a creamy scampi sauce.

Dinner was delicious, but next time I'm not buying whole squid. I need to stop watching this show. It's the third time I've had to make something I saw him eat.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Cooking pic stories always win.

Also Anthony Bourdain rules. I just watched the episode where he's stranded in Beirut. Awesome stuff.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen that one, yet. I just saw the Tuscany one yesterday. That new director had me laughing so hard.

Aw, I just noticed my "squish out their guts, peel their skin off" pic isn't working. Damn Imageshack.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Good on you, Helter Skelter.

I think a lot of people take for granted what goes in to getting the food that ends up on the table. Sometimes it can give more of an appreciation for how we look at food and what we do with it.

I really like Anthony Bourdain and his show; I like how embraces the culture, and the unique foods they make with parts we would normally discard. He actually makes some of these "parts" seem quite appealing, although I'm sure I would turn my nose up as well.

We do make quite a few things here with squid (calamari) but we typically get it when it's already been cleaned. I know, we cheat!

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like Anthony Bourdain and his show; I like how embraces the culture, and the unique foods they make with parts we would normally discard. He actually makes some of these "parts" seem quite appealing, although I'm sure I would turn my nose up as well.
You know what, you'd be surprised at yourself. I used to think the same way, until I met one of my two best friends 4 years ago. She's Thai, and eating at her house was always an interesting experience. Thailand is mostly Buddhist, so not wasting food is a major part of their cooking culture. Another big part of their culture is hospitality, and every time I went to their house, her mother made sure I ate something, even if I wasn't hungry. I've eaten "weird" things like durien, tripe, and fish heads and they were always, always good. I just got to the point where I don't ask what's in it until after I taste it.

Also, wasn't done being domestic, so I made these :lol:. From scratch.

Cream cheese frosting. :drool:

Sometimes I'm really glad to be allergic to seafood...this is one of those times :fawk:
No cinnamon rolls for you.:squint:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've been reading (listening to) his (audio) book. HILARIOUS stuff in there!

Also, I love his show. I love cooking, when I've got the time and kitchen space.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
You know what, you'd be surprised at yourself. I used to think the same way, until I met one of my two best friends 4 years ago. She's Thai, and eating at her house was always an interesting experience. Thailand is mostly Buddhist, so not wasting food is a major part of their cooking culture. Another big part of their culture is hospitality, and every time I went to their house, her mother made sure I ate something, even if I wasn't hungry. I've eaten "weird" things like durien, tripe, and fish heads and they were always, always good. I just got to the point where I don't ask what's in it until after I taste it.
Oh, I hear ya. I used to have a really good friend who was Korean, and going to his house was like stepping into "Little Korea".

A very different cuisine... Mostly enjoyed when we got back from the bars and clubs drunk.

We would get out tupperware containers of weird fish shit with heads on them, mondu, bulgogi, kimschi, you name it. It was awesome.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I love Korean food. We have this Mexican-Korean fusion truck called Kogi Naranja. We chase that thing down and then ask them for just regular Korean food :lol:. They know us really well by now.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I love Korean food. We have this Mexican-Korean fusion truck called Kogi Naranja. We chase that thing down and then ask them for just regular Korean food :lol:. They know us really well by now.
I drove by a Korean restaurant last night that I had no clue existed. I will have to definitely check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts