Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, yeah, the Mesa Nomad 45 has a bitch'n lead channel, and i'm seriously growning to love the 2nd channel (crunch/rhythm/whatever), but the cleans, i just can't get a good sound out of it.

i think part of the problem is that i've been playing on the 2nd channel too much. dialing back the gain, i get the absolute best clean sounds i've ever played on the Nomad. now, i don't particularly like a really clean-clean, i'm more of a slight-breakup clean kinda guy. i tried like hell last night to get that out of Ch1, to no avail.

i'm thinking about seeing if i can get Ch1 modded to be a 2nd Ch2. i can set it with low gain to get the cleans i love, and still have a separate Ch2.

or, is it time for a new amp? :idea:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Yeah Leon only owns like 6 distortion pedals. :lol:

Try one of your tube screamer like pedals to push the clean channel.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
or just use Ch2 for cleans and rhythms lol

want to hear gorgeous cleans? test out a traynor :drool:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've tried the OD pedal thing, and it sounds ok, but then going from clean to another channel, i'd have to shut off the OD, then click to the other sound. which, i've done in the past, but i'd rather have a simpler set-up.

...and, with my wireless system, i'd need to run a cable from the wireless receiver to the pedal, then from the pedal to the amp, which is fine in my basement, but if i can get a gigging crew together, it'll suck on stage :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Maybe a different tube for your clean channel? I know you just retubed the Nomad and probably want to dick punch me for suggesting it but it is a possibility. :D

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, all the tubes are linked in the pre-amp. i don't think any one tube is responsible for just one tone.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you like the Nomad, and you like Drew's tone, get his Recto. Though it pains me to say it, it's pretty badass.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I don't mean to beat a dead horse with the OD/Boost suggestion, but this pedal is the shit. I don't leave home without it (its in the backseat of my truck right now :lol:). My buddy has a NOMAD combo, so Im somewhat familiar with the voicing of the channels...I think this pedal would be an excellent fit for it. The "Alberta" can definitely give you that subtle breakup without adding too much compression to the the channel.
It's worth checking out. :2cents:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
i've tried the OD pedal thing, and it sounds ok, but then going from clean to another channel, i'd have to shut off the OD, then click to the other sound. which, i've done in the past, but i'd rather have a simpler set-up.
or you could do what i do..

and leave the OD on all the time ;). i use my neck pickup for cleans, with the guitar's volume down to about 3 - but then i have vol per pickup, i dunno if you have that option.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
or you could do what i do..

and leave the OD on all the time ;). i use my neck pickup for cleans, with the guitar's volume down to about 3 - but then i have vol per pickup, i dunno if you have that option.
tried that, and it kills the dynamics i get out of Ch2 :(

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Can you look for a tube with really early breakup, fine one that wants to distort?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bill! :wub:

can i put a 12AU7 where a 12AX7 should go? although i *think* the 12AU7 is a lower gain tube than the 12AX7, i'm willing to try anything to get something at least DIFFERENT from my Ch1.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts