Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some guy using one to play some metal. Check out all his other videos too. The guy is a serious fucking amp whore and clips with all of them :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The problem with his clips is they all sound the fucking same :lol:

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
I didn't read the section when I clicked on the thread and got all excited about some new Audi :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Badass Audi tone! :yesway:

Cool shootout I guess - he was trying to nail the same tone from different amps from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
He also uses a shitload of post-eq on a lot of his vide. He did one with an Einstein and then did the second half of the vid without the post-eq and it sounded like a completely different amp :2c:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The problem with his clips is they all sound the fucking same :lol:
That's what happens when you use shitty Ibanez guitars. :woohoo:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
He also uses a shitload of post-eq on a lot of his vide. He did one with an Einstein and then did the second half of the vid without the post-eq and it sounded like a completely different amp :2c:
No :2c: required, it's totally true. You can hear some complex mid-range manipulation. Again, I think it's neat that he achieves a similar tone with all the amps - it's a different kind of shootout. Too bad he had to be a dick and get booted from SS.org for spamming his videos. He's got a blog now, according to the YouTube channel. Probably a cool dude IRL. :shrug: Definitely a champion amp whore. :lol:

That's what happens when you use shitty Ibanez guitars. :woohoo:
:fawk:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm starting to wonder how much of his clips are you actually watching him play the same take you're hearing.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Most certainly. I've been watching his videos over the last few months and it seems way too easy to just do a "play through" with the audio potted down over top of something you prerecorded. Getting clean enough takes to line up the video+audio over the backing track and having it NOT take weeks of splicing and manipulating doesn't seem possible. The amount of post-production editing going on there seems to reinforce this.

Not that I mind or think that's cheating or anything. Just, as you, Josh, Steve, and Mehtab pointed out; all of the amps he records sound nearly the same because of how he dials them in, plus the post-production stuff he has running over top of them. That, mixed with the chance he's not even playing what you're actually hearing kinda casts a weird shadow over the whole thing for me. :2c:

Given, I still like his tones, his mix and his production... really high quality stuff, along with the quality of the editing in his videos. I'd kill for any of that. I just wonder how much of an amp preview/review/whatever it can be considered at that point.

PS - About the gear whoring, I believe he has a lot of guys (I know the Fortin was an example) that send him heads just to have him test and record clips with. Not sure what his actual rig consists of, besides the Axe-Fx.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
PS - About the gear whoring, I believe he has a lot of guys (I know the Fortin was an example) that send him heads just to have him test and record clips with. Not sure what his actual rig consists of, besides the Axe-Fx.
All the amps in the world at his fingertips, and still... :nlb:

:lol:

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
No :2c: required, it's totally true. You can hear some complex mid-range manipulation. Again, I think it's neat that he achieves a similar tone with all the amps - it's a different kind of shootout. Too bad he had to be a dick and get booted from SS.org for spamming his videos. He's got a blog now, according to the YouTube channel. Probably a cool dude IRL. :shrug: Definitely a champion amp whore. :lol:

:fawk:
I didn't know he got booted. He only posted a video every few weeks. I don't really see a problem with that. Samhill from the Petrucci forums does the exact same thing and no one seems to mind. Olaf was probably one of the few people left on ss.org that were doing it right...minus the mtm2...

I actually looked forward to his videos.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I didn't really like it either, but he kept posting 'em in the wrong spot, ignored questions from members and blew up with some "I'LL QUIT POSTING" diatribe after he'd been called out a few times by the mods. Show 'tude to the Mod Squad, get your comeuppance... just how it works over thar these days. :shrug:

I love the tone he gets out of that Road King. The DAR was nice too. And I've never heard a Mark IV tuned quite like that.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Totally unrelated to the shenanigans on SSO, if you follow his actual posts (both SSO, Sneap, HC and others), he comes off as an arrogant guy and does a lot to "run against the grain" of things. Talented musician and producer but conversationally... meh. I'm subscribed to his youtube channel to watch his stuff but I don't miss having him around either there or here. :2c:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not sure what the story is with the Ibby that's got the reverse headstock but the RGD (I think it's an RGD?) is supposed to have alright stock pickups. Still a little surprising, though.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The RGR08 he has comes stock with Blackouts, his MTM2 he keeps using has stock and his RGD is stock IIRC

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
The amp shootout vid is kinda cool, but as you guys have pointed out the post-eq work must be pretty significant. I've never heard a MkIV sound like that (IMO LOG=MkIV metal tone), and when I tried the JVM there's no way in hell it sounded that metal.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Yeah I talked to him about it before either on SSO or youtube (I cant remember which) and he said he does use a nice chunk of post EQ. This was in regards to the POD vs. Axe FX one. He did a video on how he records guitars for anybody that's interested...

I'm just really glad he posts his settings along with the videos, extremely helpful (especially when it comes to figuring out my dual rec :lol: )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts