Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I see so many problems with this it's not funny. But, I'm interested to see the result.

Concerns:
-The first book is way more brutal and seriously different in feel than the rest of them.
-Clint Eastwood is too old to play Roland.
-So much of the series is mental or internal, how is that going to show up?
-This better not end up like Legend of the Seeker where instead of killing like five guys the whole book they end up slaughtering an army every episode
-How is Jake going to stay 13 for the entire impossibly long production? There's no way they're filming the entire thing in less than three years.
-There's a LOT of intense language, violence, and sex that brings a lot to the setting. I'd hate to lose it.
-How the fuck are they doing this again? How much are they cutting out?

Spoilered concerns:
-WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY GOING TO DO WITH THE ENDING?
-Will Stephen King be playing himself, only younger?

I will say, if it's well-done, I can't wait to see the Wizard and Glass movie, although it won't hold a candle to the book.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Interesting. Sounds like they're going to take the LOTR approach and pretty much film the entire 3-movies-plus-connecting-tv-seasons all in a pass. It's a massive undertaking, but then again the books are so massive I think it's probably the only way to go...

And I don't think Clint Eastwood would be too old - I think you're forgetting just how old Roland is supposed to be, for his time, in the series. He's the last of the Gunslingers, Josh, and I couldn't think of a better guy to play him, doubly so considering how much of this series was inspired by The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

As long as they don't fuck it up, this could be awesome.

Spoilered response:

Which ending? Both would work, Roland approaching the tower or Roland checking the horn on his belt as he steps through the last door, though anyone in the audience who hadn't seen the whole thing would be confused as hell. The biggest problem, IMO, would be deciding which ending to pursue.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, they're gonna destroy it... :(

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Man, they're gonna destroy it... :(
I think it'll come down to who they get for Roland. He's going to have to be an absolute badass, without being so badass he's 2D. The right Roland, and this might actually work.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, but this is Hollywood. They're just gonna do something stupid like throw Leonardo in a fucking cowboy hat, and then I'll be stuck watching him stumble over lines for three movies. :noway:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Not too too long ago I heard a rumor that Mark fucking Ruffalo is supposedly gonna be Roland, which would end as total ballsacks :noway:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Ungh... this has no much of a chance for complete and utter failure.

And I don't think Clint Eastwood would be too old - I think you're forgetting just how old Roland is supposed to be, for his time, in the series. He's the last of the Gunslingers, Josh, and I couldn't think of a better guy to play him, doubly so considering how much of this series was inspired by The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
:nuts: Roland in the novels is like 40-45 years old. Definitely not as young as Eastwood was in the cowboy movies he starred in during the 60s (late 20s, early 30s).

But Clint Eastwood is fucking 80 years old. He was too old to play Roland 30 years ago. :nuts:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Eastwood is too old and Lance Henrikson is not a good enough actor, but Guy Pearce is young enough, a great actor, and looks the part. That'd be my pick.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yes, but Roland is considered an "old" man for his time. With a bit of hair dye and some time at the gym, Eastwood JUST might be able to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Eastwood is too old and Lance Henrikson is not a good enough actor, but Guy Pearce is young enough, a great actor, and looks the part. That'd be my pick.

:agreed:

Guy Pearce would be perfect. He's an amazing actor and he can totally pull off the Roland feel and look.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Yes, but Roland is considered an "old" man for his time. With a bit of hair dye and some time at the gym, Eastwood JUST might be able to pull it off.
:lol: Have you seen Eastwood lately? He looks wayyy older than any of my grandfathers: on my mother's side, father's side, and step father's side.

From wikipedia:

And that's Clint Eastwood from over 2 years ago.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
He's old for his time, but most people die young in that time. IIRC after he wakes up from meeting Walther he's in his late 30s. I always got the feeling that he was mid to late 40s, because in Wolves he's still an asskicker, but has a touch of arthritis (or the ol' Rheumatis..).

There's no way you could turn Eastwood into a middle aged dude who can still kick ass and be agile, albeit well into the downslope of his prime. he's just too old.

Eastwood was born in 1930, he's 80. He's not going to start hitting the gym. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
He's old for his time, but most people die young in that time. IIRC after he wakes up from meeting Walther he's in his late 30s. I always got the feeling that he was mid to late 40s, because in Wolves he's still an asskicker, but has a touch of arthritis (or the ol' Rheumatis..).

There's no way you could turn Eastwood into a middle aged dude who can still kick ass and be agile, albeit well into the downslope of his prime. he's just too old.

Eastwood was born in 1930, he's 80. He's not going to start hitting the gym. :lol:
Also, that arthritis goes away after ...some events happen in the 1990s. So I don't think he's necessarily that old. Late thirties or early forties is what I'd expect, although you could stretch it to 50s if you find someone who looks particularly "ageless."

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Not tall enough, not worn looking enough. Roland was always described as very tall and not very handsome. You basically need someone who looks like a Dirty Harry era Clint Eastwood.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
All of these picks suck, aside from Daniel Day Lewis. That's actually a pretty solid choice, and he can act his ass off. :yesway:

SECRET IDENTITY: Casting Roland In 'The Dark Tower'

The fuckin' dude from Lost? Seriously? :noway: Viggo's a great actor and could probably pull it off, but he's not really enough of a badass. Some decent picks here. McAvoy for Eddie Dean could work, though I still don't like Viggo for Roland.

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2009/04/30/casting-j-j-abrams-dark-tower-movie/

I really, really, really hope they don't fuck this up. They can cast Lindsay Lohan and Shia Lebouf as the lead roles in the Ice and Fire series all they want as long as they don't fuck this one up.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
If Jack Black was taller and not a fat slob, he would make a perfect Eddie.

If they cast Jim Carrey, I will kill people.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If you didn't like Lord of the Rings movies, you're just plain no fun.

This is from a guy that's read the entire trilogy 4 times, The Hobbit 5 times, and a whole bunch of crap like the Silmarillion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts