Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been absent of late, getting my head down with work and getting the band off the ground etc.

Anyway, we're heading into the studio in a couple of weeks to record drums, and then guitars and bass will be re-amped in the weeks following, so as of now this is all modelling and VST shtuffs, just to test out a few drum sounds for if/when we do a spot of sound replacement.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/new Darkadian WIP.mp3

Just a quick snippet really, just to let you know I'm still alive! This bitch is getting written slowly but surely, should have an album's worth of songs in the next few weeks, just a few more pre-production tracks to record then it's show time!

:hbang:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds pretty good, mate. The drums sound great on the fills. Is any of this staying, or will you re-record all the instruments?
Thanks man,
The drums aren't staying as they're VST. We're mic'ing up the kit soon. As for guitars and bass, some of it (mainly solos) will be re-recorded, but we all record using DI tracks, so it will only be re-amped, as opposed to re-performed. We're trying to get it tight and edited on my set up, then just taking the tracks elsewhere to mic up cabs, saving time and more importantly, moneh!

1. Post more, fool

2. Always dig what you're up to. Keep us clued in. :yesway:
Thanks dude! Yeah it's happening, slowly but surely! :D

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Gotta love how this pre-production sounds even better than some proper stuff :lol:
Got any specifics in mind for what you're doing for re-amping (who you're going too, what amps/cabs/mics you have in mind etc) ?
Good to hear you're going the route of real amps and cabs for re-amping on guitars :yesway:
Amp sims just don't cut it for this type of modern saturated groove metal thing your band is going for.
What about bass tracks? Real amps for re-amping, or just going the route of amp sims?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks dudes!

Gotta love how this pre-production sounds even better than some proper stuff :lol:
Got any specifics in mind for what you're doing for re-amping (who you're going too, what amps/cabs/mics you have in mind etc) ?
Good to hear you're going the route of real amps and cabs for re-amping on guitars :yesway:
Amp sims just don't cut it for this type of modern saturated groove metal thing your band is going for.
What about bass tracks? Real amps for re-amping, or just going the route of amp sims?
For guitars we're going for the tried and tested 5150 > Mesa 4x12 > 2 x SM57. I'm engineering it myself, same goes for drums and bass.

Drums will be my drummers insanely gorgeous Yamaha custom with Paiste cymbals, bass will be going through an Ampeg SVT 5 > Ampeg and Hartke 4x10's. A lot of work but.. I'm looking forward to it!

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I mean tbh, I was just going to write/record an album by myself at first because I couldn't find musicians, so I used all VST and modelling stuff, then figured when it was finished I'd start looking for a vocalist to work with on it, and then hopefully musicians would step forward once they heard it and wanted to be a part of it etc.

Then one day a band just magically formed around me :lol: and I was surrounded by musicians who were just too good to ignore, so I figured fuck it... I'll use what I've got so far as pre-prod and do it all for real with all of us performing. I'm looking forward to my drummer the most, he's an absolute fucking machine, but throws in all kinds of really articulate jazz-dynamics, he's really unique.

·
Registered
374 Posts
diggin the mix and tone :yesway:

personally, i'd keep the current guitar tone as a reference for the studio. who knows, it may also sound killer with real drums

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
diggin the mix and tone :yesway:

personally, i'd keep the current guitar tone as a reference for the studio. who knows, it may also sound killer with real drums
Yeah well tbh if this tone still trumps the one I get from mic'ing a rig then by all means I will keep it as the final product. No point being so elitist about studio gear that I let the album suffer as a result!

When are you actually going to the studio?
Probably not until the end of the year. We still need to write a couple of more songs and find a vocalist first!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.