Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to smooth out and warm up the high end of this amp? I'm pretty sure it needs re-biased because it sounds really cold. It came with JJ KT77's and 2 Electroharmonix 12ax7's, a Sovtek and a Tung Sol preamp tubes. Taking it to a tech in the next week or so to check it out. I want all new tubes, pre and power. Maybe the new KT77's that I already have or get some 6l6's to see if they can help smooth out that harshness. Not sure yet.

Can I have some suggestions on tubes that might help me take care of this issue. I'm not a lead player so I'm going for a nice thick, harmonically rich rhythm tone.

I'll be playing a basswood Ibby 7 string which I'm probably putting mid-high output Dimarzio pups in when it gets here Monday, Mesa Recto 2x12, Boss eq in the loop, Green Rhino & Decimator out front.

Thanks guys.

Cheers

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Ever thought of selling it and buying amp that sounds the way you want it to? Tube changes don't change the fundamental tone of an amp.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm no help with the actual question, but I'm with dave here. I'd punt on the JSX and grab yourself some flavor of 5150/6505.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

noodles said:

Ever thought of selling it and buying amp that sounds the way you want it to? Tube changes don't change the fundamental tone of an amp.
QFT. I had a jsx, a speaker swap in the 412 and a full retube with a eurotubes KT77 kit and it didn't change the tone a whole lot. It might be time to buy a different amp.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yep, I tried the same thing to get a little more bite/modern snarl out of my Roadster. I tried like $300 worth of different tubes, and at the end of the day it just wasn't the right amp for me. I was ten times happier with the ~$800 6505+ than I was with the ~$2500 Mesa.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

A 5150 is still a really bright amp. From his description, I think he needs something like a Mesa Mark, or for cheaper, a .50cal.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

How about a good amp instead?

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Blackstar HT Metal 100 or a Series One if you can afford it, like a darker ballsier Marshall. I have a Artisan 100(not really the same territory) but it sounds amazing cranked with a OD in front. I'm sure the S1 or the HT Metal will be even better for metal as they have preamp gain.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts

How about a good amp instead?
Boom!

Seriously though, Mesa Marks fucking rule for the cash, my only gripe with mine was not having a three channel foot-switch so I could use all three channels, instead I had clean or "holy balls listen to the oodles of gain on tap"

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Dude, get a Framus Dragon immediately. It isn't too bright in the top end but doesn't get muddy, and the low mids sound fucking HUGE.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What can I do to smooth out and warm up the high end of this amp? I'm pretty sure it needs re-biased because it sounds really cold. It came with JJ KT77's and 2 Electroharmonix 12ax7's, a Sovtek and a Tung Sol preamp tubes. Taking it to a tech in the next week or so to check it out. I want all new tubes, pre and power. Maybe the new KT77's that I already have or get some 6l6's to see if they can help smooth out that harshness. Not sure yet.

Can I have some suggestions on tubes that might help me take care of this issue. I'm not a lead player so I'm going for a nice thick, harmonically rich rhythm tone.

I'll be playing a basswood Ibby 7 string which I'm probably putting mid-high output Dimarzio pups in when it gets here Monday, Mesa Recto 2x12, Boss eq in the loop, Green Rhino & Decimator out front.

Thanks guys.

Cheers
I maybe able to help a little ,I have 2 Jsx heads. They do run bright , I found the 12ax7 tubes in it suck. So I put the same 12ax7 tubes in my Jsx,s that I have in my 5150,rockmaster and my Ada mp1.the sovtek 12ax7wb tube have a much warmer sound then bright . I never changed the el34's in any of my heads. I get my tubes on amazon . Hope this helps , but also if you are looking for a death metal sound you'll want a different head, oh also your bias knob is inside the Jsx , take off the back panel and you will see a thin black dial knob by one of the 12ax7 tubes , adjust to taste, I have mine set at 11oclock .

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
I maybe able to help a little ,I have 2 Jsx heads. They do run bright , I found the 12ax7 tubes in it suck. So I put the same 12ax7 tubes in my Jsx,s that I have in my 5150,rockmaster and my Ada mp1.the sovtek 12ax7wb tube have a much warmer sound then bright . I never changed the el34's in any of my heads. I get my tubes on amazon . Hope this helps , but also if you are looking for a death metal sound you'll want a different head, oh also your bias knob is inside the Jsx , take off the back panel and you will see a thin black dial knob by one of the 12ax7 tubes , adjust to taste, I have mine set at 11oclock .
This. I had a similar problem with my 5150ii, until I went inside of it and found out it was biased as cold as possible. Turned the knob all the way up, and it opened up the tone and made it sound like a real amp.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

I would advise against messing with the bias knob, unless you know exactly what you're doing. A lot of damage can be done with that potentiometer.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Wouldn't he just nuke his power tubes way faster?

I think the JSX is one of the buzziest amps I've ever heard. And that's coming from me, a recovering XXX junkie. Get a different amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I dunno, it can't be as buzzy as the Framus Cobra that Kevan has :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts