·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:metal:

Fucking awesome letter, by the way.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Nice of him to take the time to write that letter. Dave seems like a pretty decent cat.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Not getting in this debate again, but whether people like Nirvana or not, his drumming on those albums is really solid, IMHO.
:agreed: I feel like a lot of metalheads write Grohl off because he's not playing blast beats in 13/8 or whatever but that dude can play.

4,429 Posts
One of the best rock drummers from the 90s, maybe doesn't have crazy chops, but damn does he beat the shit out of a drum set in an extremely musical way.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Dave does no wrong in my book. I don't dig every tune he writes but the fucker can write some catchy ass tunes. Lot of respect for that guy. He could be taking his money and investing in a clothing line or some shit, instead of makes cool documentaries and buys up all the 2" tape he can find then writes letters backing up the youngsters.

I don't think people in the suburbs understand how GOOD it is that their kids are staying inside and doing stuff like this. It's easy to get comfy only hearing a few lawnmowers on Saturday mornings....then some kids start a band and everyone gets shitty. I dealt with that stuff so much in my hometown. Sure, it's not fun to be 50 years old, getting home from work and right as you're getting ready for Jeopardy, you hear the next door kid and his friends doing shitty renditions of Metallica and Korn songs over and over...but we could have been doing a LOT worse.

4,429 Posts
Dave does no wrong in my book. I don't dig every tune he writes but the fucker can write some catchy ass tunes. Lot of respect for that guy. He could be taking his money and investing in a clothing line or some shit, instead of makes cool documentaries and buys up all the 2" tape he can find then writes letters backing up the youngsters.

I don't think people in the suburbs understand how GOOD it is that their kids are staying inside and doing stuff like this. It's easy to get comfy only hearing a few lawnmowers on Saturday mornings....then some kids start a band and everyone gets shitty. I dealt with that stuff so much in my hometown. Sure, it's not fun to be 50 years old, getting home from work and right as you're getting ready for Jeopardy, you hear the next door kid and his friends doing shitty renditions of Metallica and Korn songs over and over...but we could have been doing a LOT worse.
Seriously, playing music was the only time I wasn't doing drugs or getting drunk when I was young.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
:agreed: My parents and my friends' parents were thrilled about this when we were kids. Every Friday we'd go to my drummer's house and make an awful ruckus for hours (after which she would stuff us full of food, to boot) and she couldn't be happier about it for exactly this reason.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love the "30 to 40 db" limitation they imposed :nuts: ... this is soooo hypocrite.

Years ago, i did a gig at a place with a 85db limitation, with a db meter and all ... and it was pretty ridiculous.

Dave Grhol is the man indeed, we need more "rockstar" like this.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Seriously, playing music was the only time I wasn't doing drugs or getting drunk when I was young.
Well, it started off that way for me. But at least, back then, we used to get baked or shitfaced specifically so we could "rock the fuck out". My drummer buddy and I were huge into Dream Theater and improv jamming while my bassist buddy pretty much just liked getting fucked up...it all worked out. :metal:

But the drummer buddy, his parents had a beautiful house in Maine and also owned a music store. It didn't take long before we had a full PA system in their basement, we used to mic everything just because we could. I was already playing a Legacy with two 4x12's in a pretty fucking small room....we'd jam until 2 in the morning, it must have been SO FUCKING ANNOYING. His parents had sleep apnea and both had those machines going, so that helped....but damn.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I remember buying the Probot album, listening to it, and going "what?" :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts