Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have one of the first dual recs made (serial 50 or under or something) that's available to use at the studio for LP3. I'm hoping we may be able to use it somewhere for layering (our sound is JCM800's at the core).

It's been forever since I've plugged into a recto, and I know our NoVa crew has experience with the early ones.

Anything I should know before our other guitarist tries real hard to veto things?

The good news is we're very open to trying stuff out to see if it works.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
just point every knob straight up and let it rip

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Keep the bass LOW, like not past 10 o'clock. The treble acts as a second gain knob. A tube screamer with the level all the way up and the gain off in front of the amp will do wonders.

Try this to start: Bass 9 o'clock, Mids 10 o'clock, Treble 1 o'clock, Presence 12 o'clock, Gain 12 o'clock. For a more "metal" sound, but the mids at 8 and the bass at 10. Adjust the presence and treble to taste.

Do NOT try to set the tone stack like a typical Marshall or it will sound like bowels erupting into a thunderpot after a night binge eating curry.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Pretty much what Matt said.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Matt's post it looks like I didn't totally forget how to dial one in :lol:. I explicitly remember to keep the bass low. In our case it will probably be off haha (gotta leave room for the bass). We might be able to use it for layering somewhere, which is my hope.

I just recall people raving about the early 2-channels.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you'll be able to find a part where you can layer it in with the 800s for a hugely over the top part that just needs to get massive.
That's been the empress fuzz, my custom 22 with 59's into I think Dan's 800. But then, it's only day two :lol:.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, Matt's settings are a good starting point. I like to run the mids a little higher, maybe 1 o'clock, but that's in the subjective taste range.

I remember Dave saying the first 500 Rectos sounded more articulate than you'd expect as the gain went up (compared to the latter ones), but I was hung over enough on the day I played #5 that I don't trust my recollections. :lol: I DID recall strongly preferring the Roadster though, for what I do, since it was capable of getting a lot smoother.

Still, if you're in the studio, have one of the first 50 Rectifiers sitting on a cab next to you, and have the time to experiment a little, you overdub a track or two with it on SOMETHING. :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Odds of trying a fuzzed up recto: pretty damn likely :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I remember Dave saying the first 500 Rectos sounded more articulate than you'd expect as the gain went up (compared to the latter ones), but I was hung over enough on the day I played #5 that I don't trust my recollections. :lol: I DID recall strongly preferring the Roadster though, for what I do, since it was capable of getting a lot smoother.
I've played about a dozen of the first 500, but R005 was absolutely unique among them. It sounded like a hairier SLO than anything else. It was also really, really bright on ch2/modern compared to around 300-500, since those were pretty dark. It also wasn't as tight as later Rectos, which basically made it a one trick pony lead amp. The catch is that pony is a friggin' thoroughbred race horse.

For what you do, the Roadster was the better amp. It's got that dark rhythm sound that you love.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
It was more the lead sound, but yeah - I was surprised how bright that one was. It actually reminded me a lot of my Rectoverb before it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, Number 5 was much more like a Soldano than any other Recto I've played. I can see why they got changed up.

Get the master up loud on that sucker, with the tube rectifiers on in spongy, and rip some leads. :metal:

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Yeah, Matt's settings are a good starting point. I like to run the mids a little higher, maybe 1 o'clock, but that's in the subjective taste range.
I do this too, the mid knob up high like this at noon or 1 o'clock really adds to the grit of the sound.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've gotten some really good tone out of the Mini in ch2/vintage with the mids at 2:00-3:00, but only with a Les Paul with vintage PAF (Alnico II around 7.5-8K). It's a great classic rock sound. For modern, I hang out with the mids around 10:30-11:00 for metal rhythm, but I always like more mids than Matt and Mike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts