Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Isn't that just the old Rhoads control layout but with a blade switch instead of a toggle? The front two knobs are like the old San Dimas-style control layout. It's very practical, actually.

The Kramer is the nicest-looking sig that Dave has had since the Jackson days. It's too bad that the Gibson sigs don't have the ES-175-style inlays like his personal custom guitar does. It's kind of weird that the official launch photo of him shows a guitar you can't actually buy. Of course, his grimace makes him look like he's just really really thrilled to be a Gibson endorser. :D

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
guess he just likes it that way. seems like a pain in the ass to me. then again maybe i'm just biased because nearly everything seems like a pain in the ass to me. 1 pushpush knob for volume and pup switching is calling to me ever since that new relic'd sig charvel.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Isn't that just the old Rhoads control layout but with a blade switch instead of a toggle? The front two knobs are like the old San Dimas-style control layout. It's very practical, actually.
It's tighter, or at least it was on the Deans. Plus the blade switch makes it practically unusable.

The Kramer is the nicest-looking sig that Dave has had since the Jackson days. It's too bad that the Gibson sigs don't have the ES-175-style inlays like his personal custom guitar does. It's kind of weird that the official launch photo of him shows a guitar you can't actually buy. Of course, his grimace makes him look like he's just really really thrilled to be a Gibson endorser. :D
Standard Gibson crap - "here's this awesome looking thing you can't buy. Please submit this credit check form and we'll put you through to our custom shop, where you can order a matching wood-cabinet Mesa Boogie to go with it".

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I dont think he will stay long with Gibson.
Unless FMIC decides to pony up enough money to convince him to go back to Jackson, there's no company that's bigger/richer that he hasn't already endorsed at some point.

Maybe I just don't pay that much attention, but I've gotten the impression that Dave is semi-retired. It's hard to imagine him commanding the kind of endorsement dollars he did a decade or two ago.

Also, and I hate to say this, his fanbase has aged out of the 18-49 demographic that advertisers care about, or is very close to doing so. The reason for that preference is that people 50+ generally have fixed brand preferences and are less susceptible to advertising messages. Look at us crusty old fucks around here making fun of every new guitar and processor that comes out and savaging the YouTube influencer wannabes. If we're buying anything, it's the same stuff we wanted 20 years ago. Good luck advertising to us.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I just want to know what makes him hop one brand to the other?

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
The Kramer is my favorite of the bunch but I’m still “meh” for the most part. It’s a great sign for Kramer as a brand so that makes me hopeful. Kramer has also released an all black Nightswan and an Aztec Nightswan (from the Vivian Campbell ads back in the day) so I’d really love to see a Kramer Sustainiac model and/or a holoflash version come back.
I agree. Out of all of those, only the Kramer is interesting to me.

I do have an Aztec Nightswan on pre-order from Sweetwater. I had that Vivian Campbell ad in my High School locker back in the late 80's, so when I found out they were making it again I contacted my Sweetwater rep.

Problem is - I don't know when I'll get it. I originally talked to him in late Summer about it. He told me it would be coming in late October. Then it was around Thanksgiving. Then just after Christmas. Then mid-January. Then late Feb.

I pre-ordered it this month. I was told it would be mid-to-late April. Just ordered a Schecter case yesterday (because I'm planning to get another Schecter - I have a GAS problem lately) and he sent me an update last night that it would be late May for both the case and the Kramer.

So who knows when I'll see it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts