Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Someone posted that on Facebook - I'm not 100% sure as it's a super challenging piece, but I suspect I could do better than that. Very least, I'd have the humility to request that we play it a bit slower, if that's how i sounded at tempo.

...which makes you wonder if it's just nerves - I mean, they MUST have rehearsed, right?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Wow.. I was thinking this was a Youtube joke video. I'm sure it has something to do with it being recorded with a phone, but his tone couldn't be much more harsh and unpleasant.
Nope, sadly - I saw it attached to a review of the show from someone who evidently was in attendance.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I don't really love the Yngster, but I think you HAVE to respect him.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I have my doubts as to how real the first video is… the symphony sounds too "big" for the number of players there, and Dave's moving his hands for the introductory bars, but there's no sound.

Flight of the Valkyries, though… that's definitely real. And it's awful. SO MANY sour notes. :(
I'm not sure - if someone overdubbed it, they NAILED the timing on his vibrato, which is perfectly in sync in the video with the audio. And reading the descripton it looks like the show itself had some trouble with the sound, where the guitar was cutting in and out in places as the mic was feeding back - it very well MAY be real.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Exactly. I'm a huge megadeth fan and I think Dave is one of the best metal guitarists ever. He's not an all around player though. He does his thing well has his own style and is more genius in his abilities as a songwriter/rhythm player. His lead playing is pretty difficult as well. But it's because it's a style that is pretty much all him (ie: ending solo to Holy Wars). When he steps outside that is where it all comes back to earth....So in a sense he is an all around player because he has some legendary riffs and leads but it's more because there is nothing else quite like it.

That clip was disappointing but I'm not surprised and it doesn't diminish my opinion of him as a player.
Be that as it may, I think part of being a good player is having the critical ability to self-asses and not try to do something that you know you can't. If Dave really walked out there on stage with an orchestra thinking he could get away with that kind of a performance, then yeah, it diminishes what I think of him as a player. He butchered that - he should not have gone ahead with that performance, whatever else he's done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.