Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Does it really surprise anybody that Mustaine cannot play difficult classical pieces renowned for their technical challenges?
Should he have even tried?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Honestly, the Music Director and/or conductor for the ensemble has the responsibility of ensuring that the performance will be up to the necessary caliber. If a soloist hasn't gotten their piece up to that caliber, the director and/or conductor need to either cancel the concert or (what usually happens) substitute some other pieces the ensemble knows and call in local soloists to perform.

This actually happened in an ensemble I perform in. Our choir, which is the leading civic choir in the state, had a concert with the philharmonic here that featured an internationally renowned piano soloist. Following the 2 rehearsals leading up to the concert, it was decided that she wasn't sufficiently prepared and they cut her pieces.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does it really surprise anybody that Mustaine cannot play difficult classical pieces renowned for their technical challenges?
Exactly. I'm a huge megadeth fan and I think Dave is one of the best metal guitarists ever. He's not an all around player though. He does his thing well has his own style and is more genius in his abilities as a songwriter/rhythm player. His lead playing is pretty difficult as well. But it's because it's a style that is pretty much all him (ie: ending solo to Holy Wars). When he steps outside that is where it all comes back to earth....So in a sense he is an all around player because he has some legendary riffs and leads but it's more because there is nothing else quite like it.

That clip was disappointing but I'm not surprised and it doesn't diminish my opinion of him as a player.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
JFC is this for real? This sounds even worse than Last Rites from the first album. :facepalm:

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This sums up what I think drove Dave to do it in the first place.

Well since Metallica did it, clearly Dave has to try and copy what they did ages ago. This is what jealousy does to a man. Ffs, let it go Dave!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Exactly. I'm a huge megadeth fan and I think Dave is one of the best metal guitarists ever. He's not an all around player though. He does his thing well has his own style and is more genius in his abilities as a songwriter/rhythm player. His lead playing is pretty difficult as well. But it's because it's a style that is pretty much all him (ie: ending solo to Holy Wars). When he steps outside that is where it all comes back to earth....So in a sense he is an all around player because he has some legendary riffs and leads but it's more because there is nothing else quite like it.

That clip was disappointing but I'm not surprised and it doesn't diminish my opinion of him as a player.
Be that as it may, I think part of being a good player is having the critical ability to self-asses and not try to do something that you know you can't. If Dave really walked out there on stage with an orchestra thinking he could get away with that kind of a performance, then yeah, it diminishes what I think of him as a player. He butchered that - he should not have gone ahead with that performance, whatever else he's done.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Be that as it may, I think part of being a good player is having the critical ability to self-asses and not try to do something that you know you can't. If Dave really walked out there on stage with an orchestra thinking he could get away with that kind of a performance, then yeah, it diminishes what I think of him as a player. He butchered that - he should not have gone ahead with that performance, whatever else he's done.
:agreed:

There's no way he was nailing that piece in practice with as horrid as it sounds there, but ego prevails. Maybe he got tired of people asking how he can have a brand of wine while not being able to taste it and decided to try some of it before he hit the stage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ha I'm half expecting the release of the CD/DVD version of this symphony business and willingly bet my cock and balls that by some sort of magical mojo the guitar will sound awesome..

I guess that an over-sized ego and the total inability to be critical of oneself is the attribute of rock stars.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Uh, did everyone forget that his arm became so fucked up that he disbanded Megadeth for a good while? He put the band back together but that doesn't mean his hands are 100% healed, just in good enough shape to tour.
You don't accept a gig like this if you have an injury. There is no excuse for this kind of performance. None. Zero. If you can't do it, cancel the show or find a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Uh, did everyone forget that his arm became so fucked up that he disbanded Megadeth for a good while? He put the band back together but that doesn't mean his hands are 100% healed, just in good enough shape to tour.
Then, once again, it should have been his or the music director's responsibility to recognize that this piece was not sufficiently prepared and remove it from the program.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.