Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it feel to have your lunch packed by your opener? Testament just owned you on your 20th anniversary of RIP tour, and not just a little bit, either. Really, really hard.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More like without Alex Skolnick, even. Alex was on the road with the Skolnick Smooth Jazz Trio, supporting Rodrigo and Orioncoverella. Glen Bendover was filling in.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Testament is a good band with a few good songs here and there, but Megadeth was fucking incredible for like 3 or 4 albums. I'll concede that Mustaine is an ass and Megadeth sucks horribly live nowadays, but I can't agree with you guys that Testament was ever better than them.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Testament is a good band with a few good songs here and there, but Megadeth was fucking incredible for like 3 or 4 albums. I'll concede that Mustaine is an ass and Megadeth sucks horribly live nowadays, but I can't agree with you guys that Testament was ever better than them.
late 90s Testament > All of megadeth.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Was there a point in time where Testament didn't pwn Megadeth? :lol:
Yes. Up to 1987, and in 1990. In 1992 they had gone equally downhill. Testament responded with "Low", and Megadeth responded with "Youthanasia". I still listen to "Low", whereas "Youthanasia" was the beginning of the end for me with 'Deth.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Another thing about last night's show - it was nice to see Megadeth and have all the non-Dave solos be played correctly. By correctly, I mean absolutely sounds-like-the-album correctly.

Testament, on the other hand was great in spite of Drover's attempts at playing Skol's solos - well, the ones Eric didn't play, anyway. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I admit to not being the biggest thrash-head on the planet, so I'm not particularly familiar with the Testament catalog. I probably will become so after last night's show. Regardless of whatever they were 20 years ago, Testament absolutely blew Megadeth off the stage last night. Pity they couldn't have swapped lead guitar players.

The biggest surprise for me was Eric Peterson. I didn't even know he played leads, but he certainly shredded just fine last night. He should have just played all the leads.

It was funny how the entire crowd seemed to perk up every time Broderick took a solo--it was like Megadeth briefly came to life during those moments. Ok, maybe that's just me projecting. :lol:

Megadeth wasn't terrible, they just shouldn't have followed Testament.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Yes. Up to 1987, and in 1990. In 1992 they had gone equally downhill. Testament responded with "Low", and Megadeth responded with "Youthanasia". I still listen to "Low", whereas "Youthanasia" was the beginning of the end for me with 'Deth.
I listen to both albums without recourse... you sir are on crack. :fawk:

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Testament owns anyone that shares a stage with them IMO.
...KK and Glenn would like to have a word with you :squint:

Seriously though, on Priest Feast last year, Megadeth did kind of hit as a bit of a blip between Testament and Priest. They were still very good, they just lacked...zazz. Broderick really does manage to reproduce anything perfectly though, it's terrifying.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
will they do this before or after continuing to slow down their songs while halford unleashes an impassioned "eh" of a performance?

BTW, Eric played about half the leads on the Legacy album anyway. He does a whole bunch in Dragonlord. I guess he doesnt want to step on skolnick or something. I know i wouldnt play solos if i were in the same band as him. "You just do that thing you do, man". lol

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Yes... only to agree with him completely. The last few Priest tours have been abysmal, Rob practically needs a walker, KK and Glenn mail it in, and even Travis is boring. The last time Priest were good live the first Bush was in the White House.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts