Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no fan of this genre, but I like this guy's style.

Deadmau5 Clarifies 'Press Play' Comments About Fellow DJs - Yahoo! Music

"We all hit play," begins the entry. "It's no secret. When it comes to 'live' performance of EDM . . . that's about the most it seems you can do anyway." Deadmau5 continues to say that given one hour of instruction and basic knowledge of the music production program Ableton, anyone could do what he does on stage. He further explains his live setup, revealing the heavy data transfers in sync with the light show only allow him a certain limited flexibility. "There's a good chunk of MIDI [Musical Instrument Digital Interface] data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton . . . which i can tweak *live* and whatnot . . . but doesnt give me a lot of 'lookit me im Jimi Hendrix check out this solo' stuff, because I'm constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE [Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers timestamp]."

Deadmau5 also stressed the importance of production and studio releases. "My 'skills' and other PRODUCERS skills shine where it needs to shine . . . in the goddamned studio, and on the fucking releases. That's what counts . . . because this whole big 'EDM' is taking over fad," he says. "I'm not going to let it go thinking that people assume theres a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. Because none of the 'top DJs in the world' to my knowledge have. Myself included."

Despite the controversy, Deadmau5 was clear to thank fans for fueling EDM. But he stopped short of an outright apology for his comments, adding, "To stand up and say youre doing something special outside of a studio environment, when youre not, just plain fuckin annoys me."

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Good on him for telling the truth, not that I imagined it any differently.

I wonder how much if any is performed live. I know that Skinny Puppy, an older industrial band that is probably nothing like deadmau5, performs much of their music live. They have a drummer, Ohgr does vocals, Kevin plays the synths and picks up the guitar sometimes.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
LOL musicians

·
18,790 Posts
Yep, that's why the better electronic artists refer to themselves as producers and not musicians. Composers would be accurate too. I know Chemical Brothers do quite a lot live as far as actually using hardware synths and samplers, triggering loops themselves, etc. Same goes for Squarepusher (who also is a really impressive bassist), and some others, who like to mix it up live.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
That's the thing...most of these guys are just dorks with synthesizers that like to make funny sounds. So, when people like it and want to see it live....what are they supposed to do with layers and layers of random sounds and 10K in plugins?

Press play and dance around like a jackass wearing a Mickey Mouse head!

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

zepp said:
That's the thing...most of these guys are just dorks with synthesizers that like to make funny sounds. So, when people like it and want to see it live....what are they supposed to do with layers and layers of random sounds and 10K in plugins?

Press play and dance around like a jackass wearing a Mickey Mouse head!
Yep. That's why a lot of them also coordinate their own light show and other visuals.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Ones like Madeon who uses the pads with hundreds of different samples lined up which he brings in as and when are a good example of how to "play" it live. Others are ones like Pinn Panelle and Modestep (while not exactly being enthralling musically) who actually do play it all on real instruments.

The thing with EDM though is it's not about sitting there watching the band solo or whatever, a lot of it is about how well the guy/girl reacts to the mood in terms of what they put on next, how well they mix it in, if they throw anything extra on top, do any mash ups (Daft Punk's Alive album is basically entirely mash ups from start to finish). The other part is EDM takes more advantage of the sound systems than most other genres, so the live experience is as much going to see what it sounds like on a massive whack off PA as it is seeing something.

Still, it's the nature of the genre that makes it less palatable live than guitar-based bands. Do I care though? Na, I'd rather see good EDM live than bad metal.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
They don't all just push play..

here he is live

It all depends on the musician, its just like in metal. You have bands like Coal Chamber (who in essence just push play) and then you have Stephan Forté

·
Kilted Hack
480 Posts
I love Henry, I really do, but what exactly did he do in Black Flag again? Atonal barking isn't that big a step up from being a record player player. Jes sayin. Henry Rollins' contribution to actual music isn't exactly stunning, either.

I do a lot of EDM or EDM related stuff - my main band is "dance metal", and we play along with the loops and keys and bgvs on an iPod, and I'm painfully aware that it's basically glorified karaoke. But at the end of the day, either you know music, and have talent, or you don't. And if your instrument is MIDI synths and other people's records, well, you still have to understand how to fit the parts together, how to arrange songs, how to elicit an emotional response.

Granted, there's a LOT of EDM/DJ stuff/Hip Hop that's made by seemingly random loops thrown together in Garage Band, with no real concept or attempt at anything but lightly garnishing another BIG BEAT to get ladies on the dance floor, but painting it all with that big a brush seems to miss the point of EDM and electronica.

THAT said, there are always going to be obvious limitations in EDM/electronica for artists to "play live". Unless you're bringing either an entire 9 piece band to replicate all the parts, or you're laying out your 48 channel Neve board and 12 racks worth of outboard gear, there are going to be some compromises.

People need to get over themselves. I always feel like artists are pretty self evident, as opposed to entertainers, performers, or poser hacks. It's an emotional and intellectual commitment, a purpose and intent, that separates these things, not something as simple as one's medium or genre. Any tool in the hands of an artist can produce art. And someone can copy that process to create something that seems similar, but in the end, I feel like people who really care can tell the difference. Even if all they do is press play.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Deathmonkey said:
I love Henry, I really do, but what exactly did he do in Black Flag again? Atonal barking isn't that big a step up from being a record player player. Jes sayin. Henry Rollins' contribution to actual music isn't exactly stunning, either.

I do a lot of EDM or EDM related stuff - my main band is "dance metal", and we play along with the loops and keys and bgvs on an iPod, and I'm painfully aware that it's basically glorified karaoke. But at the end of the day, either you know music, and have talent, or you don't. And if your instrument is MIDI synths and other people's records, well, you still have to understand how to fit the parts together, how to arrange songs, how to elicit an emotional response.

Granted, there's a LOT of EDM/DJ stuff/Hip Hop that's made by seemingly random loops thrown together in Garage Band, with no real concept or attempt at anything but lightly garnishing another BIG BEAT to get ladies on the dance floor, but painting it all with that big a brush seems to miss the point of EDM and electronica.

THAT said, there are always going to be obvious limitations in EDM/electronica for artists to "play live". Unless you're bringing either an entire 9 piece band to replicate all the parts, or you're laying out your 48 channel Neve board and 12 racks worth of outboard gear, there are going to be some compromises.

People need to get over themselves. I always feel like artists are pretty self evident, as opposed to entertainers, performers, or poser hacks. It's an emotional and intellectual commitment, a purpose and intent, that separates these things, not something as simple as one's medium or genre. Any tool in the hands of an artist can produce art. And someone can copy that process to create something that seems similar, but in the end, I feel like people who really care can tell the difference. Even if all they do is press play.
I like you :agreed:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I really struggle to see how this isnt common knowledge.

I mean whos bubble could he possibly have burst with this?

Props for telling the truth though. However redundant.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts

I've never heard any EDM I like

But you sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

And a badass poster.

Carry on :yesway:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.