Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is self explanatory but what's the ups and downs of both? Found a guitar on craigslist with these in it so I'm wondering what's up with them and if they're any better then my BDSM pickups at least with tonal variety.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BDSM are the stock pickups on most BC Rich guitars. I think Dean DMT Desigan are the Dean Vendetta stock pickups.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
This might not work for you, but it worked for me, but get an OD. When I first started playing my Epiphone Les Paul Standard had (still has) weak sounding pickups, which turned out to be good thing. They could be molded to sound like whatever you wanted if you have the patience and if don't know to change pickups (I didn't when I first started) and if you don't have a lot of money on hand. A Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez Ts9, or a Hardwire tube OD (made by Digitech) will do the trick. They're cheap and sound great. This way you can add whatever your pickups and amp may not be giving you especially if your lacking in the sustain department. An OD will make just about any stock pickup sound better.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
DMT pickups are serviceable, much better than BDSM pickups. Michael Amott actually uses a set in his guitars made by dean. They still won't be as good as a dimarzio or duncan, but they're far better than BDSM pickups.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok so the other thing is this guy wants to trade my BC Rich Kerry King Wartribe for an Epiphone SG (1997 model) with Dean Designs in it. Not only do the BDSM's suck but the overall style of the BC Rich doesn't suit me well or the metal I play but I'm not sure yet if I should take the deal.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Get fucking rid of them as soon as possible and get something else. Both pickups mentioned in the OP are literally the least expressive and often noisest stock pickups to haunt this planet. BDSM clearly alludes the torture that is subjecting yourself to using them.

I'm sure somebody on here's got a JB/59 combo or something similar that they'd be willing to sell for a song, and will actually make the guitar sound good rather than shat.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
A new Ibby Ts9 is more expensive than a new DiMarzio Insert Pickup Here. :lol:
True but that's if he's just going for a bridge pup what about a full set and a Ts9 is $99 here. For reference a Dimarzio D-activator is $69.99 so for single pup your right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get fucking rid of them as soon as possible and get something else. Both pickups mentioned in the OP are literally the least expressive and often noisest stock pickups to haunt this planet. BDSM clearly alludes the torture that is subjecting yourself to using them.

I'm sure somebody on here's got a JB/59 combo or something similar that they'd be willing to sell for a song, and will actually make the guitar sound good rather than shat.
Song for pickups? I'd take that lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts