Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a new axe. Basically, I was pretty much set on the ESP LTD M-1000 (White), but then I took another look at this beast. The Dean ML Arch-top 3000.

Specs:

• Carved Flame Maple Top
• Mahogany Body
• 24-3/4" Scale
• Set Mahogany Neck
• Rosewood Fingerboard
• Abalone Body, Neck & Headstock Binding
• Abalone Dot Inlays
• Grover Tuners
• Black Hardware
• Floyd Rose Original Trem. Bridge
• USA DMT "Baker Act" Bridge Pickup
• USA DMT "Time Capsule" Neck Pickup
• Finishes: Trans Black, Scary Cherry

Now, I am seriously considering purchasing this beast, but I have a few questions? First off, why is it only $800? Sure, it was made in Korea, but it's still cheap for it's specs. It has an ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE TREMELO system, which just amazes me. Also, it's at set neck, which seems like that would bump the price up considerably.

On paper, this seems like an amazing guitar. I do play a lot of shreddy stuff, and this only has 22 frets, but that is the only flaw that I can find. Plus, this guitar has looks. I mean, the White ESP LTD M-1000 looks pretty cool, but not as cool as this dean. They cost the exact same, but I don't know, the Dean has an OFR. I guess the LTD has EMG's, which is what I usually use, but I don't know. I am actually torn between these two guitars. I think I like the most specs of the LTD (EMG's, 24 frets), but the Dean doesn't lack sweet specs as well (Original Floyd Rose, looks badass as fuck).

I can't find A SINGLE REVIEW on the Dean, so if any of you have it, talk to me about it. If any of you have experience with the USA DMT pickups, than tell me what you think. I would love your input.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
if you think that's cheap for a korean guitar with an OFR and Set-neck, I invite you to look at the newer BC Rich stuff.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
if you think that's cheap for a korean guitar with an OFR and Set-neck, I invite you to look at the newer BC Rich stuff.
:agreed: It may be a pretty awesome price, and i'm not a big Dean fan, but it looks like a very nice import. The BC Rich stuff is very nice as well, and a lot of it also includes Original Floyds, such as their new 7 String V, mahogany wings, maple neckthru, 24 fret, 25.5" scale, original floyd for $600. If you like pointy stuff, check out the BC Rich lineup, and if you like that type of thing, the best bang for your buck would be to look for a used BC Rich Caliber series.
The caliber series was something they did for a very short time, they were handmade in Europe and the build quality actually rivaled their USA Custom Shop, which I'm guessing is why they quit making them.

They made a very limited run of Calibre Warlocks, Biches, and Mockingbirds:

:yesway:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
FYI, those are Ping Floyds, which is one reason they're turning up on so many guitars - they're a LOT cheaper than the German ones, though they're supposedly built to the same specs.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
well, yeah, I've found that all you gotta do is swap the arm holder assembly, cause the ping ones are sub-par, and they're just about as good.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I like how it looks, go for it :)

Would look sexier with Ebony rather than rosewood though..

·
Registered
219 Posts
doesn't everything?
:agreed:

like has already been stated BC rich makes a fine line of affordable well spec'ed guitars, just as ESP's ltds. A good friend of mine has had an LTD for about 10 years now and it has held up well. I don't have enough knowledge of the Dean product line to make any sort of educated judgement call there.

However, like most things, we can all drone on about specs and our experiences for ever. Bottom line is they are both excellent guitars at a good price so to make the decision you should try them out head to head. Choose whichever feels best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts