Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody tell me, is this thing fucked? If the image doesn't make it clear, the truss rod is in contact with the left and bottom walls as seen looking head-on, so it seems to me the neck or rod is twisted somehow? I would really like to throw some relief into my friend's neck here, but I don't see how it's possible.

What's even more confusing is that's a round collar with a round interior and I'm not sure, but maybe it's a Phillips or flathead inside that I'm supposed to tweak on? I'm double confused by that. I thought I could grab it with a set of needlenose pliers and twist sideways but I'm just going to tear the nut off.

This is some Dean Vendetta XM or something.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Position is par for the cheaply-made-cnc'd-course.

Round interior looks more a product of some idiot "having a go" - does it look like it's been sheared?

So, it will turn...if you can turn it :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not appear to be sheared. I already heard the nut joint go "crack" on one side, so I stopped my twisting experiment. Do you think it originally had a hex interior?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Does not appear to be sheared. I already heard the nut joint go "crack" on one side, so I stopped my twisting experiment. Do you think it originally had a hex interior?
I'd guess so, hard to see from your shot, but most Deans at that price point do.

The 'crack' was almost certainly glue loosening itself from the truss rod - when they put the fingerboard on there tends to be a lot of overspill.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, fuck this thing. I can't get it to turn, and it's not worth it. It also reeks of cigarettes, as though the Marlboro man himself slept with it every night.

It's my frontman's old battle axe, and I just got through setting it up in Bb standard with 13-56 strings. I got the intonation except for the 2nd string whose saddle is stuck, and I got the action where it belonged. Just wanted to get the action a little lower while eliminating some 3rd-9th fret buzz, but fuck it.

Worst is, my other guitarist is going to be playing this POS on stage in a couple of weeks. :facepalm:

Thanks for the help, fellers.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
tell him to save another $109 (plus tax) and just buy another XM. Or save up money and buy a better guitar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts