Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just knocked up a quick clip with my new Dæmoness 6-string, which has a Bare Knuckle Aftermath in the bridge position:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Aftermath DM.mp3

Bear in mind the guitar is tuned to Eb standard!

Using the Axe-FX 5150 model for the amp sim, with Redwire IRs. The bass guitar is a custom McIntyre 5-string (used to belong to James Leach of SikTh), running through the Ampeg SVX plugin.
Drums are Superior 2.0: Metal Foundry for the cymbals and kick, with snare and toms coming from the regular Avatar kit.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
That sounds amazing. Nice to see someone use an Axe-FX and not do this shitty overproduced djent shit.

Guitar is gorgeous, too. Haha. Is the guitar is as middy and punchy as that unplugged?

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers dudes :)

Stitch, yeah it's got a real midrange bark to it, which I definitely put down to the swamp ash. The Hannes bridge definitely does a lot to a guitar's response too, it feels astonishingly "direct".

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how does the aftermath sound in respect to the existing bkp's
I'd say it's closest to the Painkiller - similar output level (very slightly lower at 15kΩ vs the PK's 15.6kΩ), even tighter low end, smoother across the midrange (much less of the PK's signature upper mid spike), and overall fatter sound.

It's a real beast of a pickup, but be warned - this thing is extremely unforgiving!

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I'd say it's closest to the Painkiller - similar output level (very slightly lower at 15kΩ vs the PK's 15.6kΩ), even tighter low end, smoother across the midrange (much less of the PK's signature upper mid spike), and overall fatter sound.

It's a real beast of a pickup, but be warned - this thing is extremely unforgiving!
This sounds like my pup:lol: The painkiller was my fav but it just had a little too much midrange for me

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah dude that should be perfect. I've always thought the Painkiller is best suited to dark guitars or people after ultra-djent. The Aftermath is going to be great for people looking for the super-tightness and precision in brighter instruments without the harshness.

The Aftermath is going to be out in the very near future, so keep an eye out on the BKP page if you're interested ;)

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah dude that should be perfect. I've always thought the Painkiller is best suited to dark guitars or people after ultra-djent. The Aftermath is going to be great for people looking for the super-tightness and precision in brighter instruments without the harshness.

The Aftermath is going to be out in the very near future, so keep an eye out on the BKP page if you're interested ;)
*Sean files this information away in regards to the custom guitar he is spec'ing out*

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
not deathmetal. semantics and bickering aside, that is a great tone. how many tracks? I dig the clarity. also, being in Eb is no excuse, if you can't play heavy riffs in standard tuning, they aren't going to magically be heavy tuned down and that was a nice and heavy riff.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
:facepalm:
:lol: I approve of anything relating to protecting the sanctity of death metal, but that comment was unnecessary.

Its not like there are people raping a genre composed of low string chugging and powerchords worse than nolly :rofl:

Not that nollys raping it, playing and tone were quite good.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
get over it. i liked the clip, the tone was sweet and not generic and i dug the riffs. it wasn't death metal, at all. I'm sure it's not a big deal to nolly or anyone... besides you two.

genre policeman kevin out.

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehe, yep, I couldn't give two shits about what genre people want to call it, no bad blood here :)
FWIW, it started life really quite along the lines of Psycroptic, so it has that kinda feel to me but I know the heavy half-time 4/4 groove thing is not DM at all.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
get over it. i liked the clip, the tone was sweet and not generic and i dug the riffs. it wasn't death metal, at all. I'm sure it's not a big deal to nolly or anyone... besides you two.

genre policeman kevin out.
I honestly don't care what you think is or isn't death metal, but the comment just came off as really dickish. :2c:

It also sounds a lot like the intro to No heaven for me from Aeon.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah not death metal. I was really hoping for some sick playing like in this vid:

Nolly, next time can you do us all a favor and play this:

0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 *Random taps on all strings* 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 *minor sweep out of key* 0 0 0 0

:rofl: I kid

I thought riffs and tone were sick. Good job Nolly.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts